LME Age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
Just got a few cans of coopers wheat extract and happened to look at the date on the bottom. the date on one is October 2011 and the other is October 2010. I assume this is the date it was produced and not the use by date. Anyone know how long lme lasts from when they come out of the factory? I've done a search but the few answers vary wildly. they seem pretty old to me and I don't want to waste my time if my beer is going taste bad. (time of posting february 2013)

I use coopers cans all the time. It is my understanding that the date on the bottom of the can is the best before date. i personally wouldn't use them. I have a coopers can right now dated for 2015, it's the only date on the can. If you do decide to use it, be sure to get fresh yeast at least.

mine has the day of the year, year and time on it. I assumed that it was the time of production as that would be a bit too specific for the use by date. is yours in the same format?

Ignore the date, use them. The beer might be a little darker, but it should turn out fine.

Old LME is the primary cause of the "extract twang" people complain about. Not that the beer will be horrible, but it could certainly have off flavors. Just depends how particular you are.

It's also greatly dependant on your process. That can make a big difference with old Cooper's cans. I did one that I picked up at the lhbs & didn't mind the date on the can. It was Cooper's OS Lager,2 years old. I used my method of half a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME in the boil for hop additions. Stirred in the Cooper's can at flame out & covered to steep 15 minutes. It came out darker & the flavor was surprising. Looked & tasted like Salvator doppel bock. It's in my gallery as Summer Ale. Gary at Home Brewer TV liked it so much,it got the 3 thumbs up! So never say never!:mug:

Just got an answer from coopers and thought i'd share it.

'It depends on the storage temperature Aaron. If you keep it in the fridge it’ll maintain colour and flavour integrity longer than if you store it at ambient temperatures. Liquid malt extract undergoes Maillard reactions which result in the product darkening and changing flavour slowly over time. To slow these reactions down, store the cans in the fridge. We recommend using the lighter coloured products within two years of the production date.'

The Cooper's OS Lager can sat on my lhbs's shelf for two years before I got it & fridged it till brewday. If he'd have fridged it,it might still have been near fresh in color & quality.
So I put hops in the freezer,LME,yeasts & grains in the fridge. DME,dextrose,maltodextrin & the like in a bag on an upper pantry shelf.

Latest posts

Back