Electric without a controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballewblake

Reaction score
Noob question.

I was wondering if I could hook a dimmer switch to the elements to control temps? I currently have a two tier propane rig, with 3-keggels that I want to move to the basement. I'm comfortable hooking up electric for 220v. I recently purchased two 5500w elements that I would like to put in my HLT and Kettle. I was wondering if I would have my plugs on a dimmer between the outlet and element?

I'm not currently in a position to buy a controller (unemployed) so I'm looking for another alternative.

Yeah, if you are handy with soldering, a PWM kit (or from scratch) is pretty easy. You will still need some components to put it all together though. A standard lighting dimmer will not work here.

I have yet to see a wall dimmer rated for 220v and 30a... it won't work. The PWM is your best bet, short of you plugging in / unplugging the element yourself to maintain temps - that's the cheapest option around!

The other option is a phase angle SSR. search for voltage resistance SSR on ebay or amazon. The end result is the same, adjust the power delivered to the heating element.

Or you can use smaller elements and power at 100% without a controller. 3500 - 4500w depending on variables involved, ambient temp, 5gal or 10 gal batch, etc. 5500w would have the wort jumpin!

Back