best way to enlarge a hole by 1/16"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I need to expand a hole in my SS pot by 1/16". It is for a heating element so the hole is already too big for a step bit. I do have a dremel with a aluminum oxide wheel but it does not seem to take much out of the stainless. Is there any other attachments or other options that are easy (an preferably quick) way of doing this?

A larger step bit, that has the size you need on it, is the best method IMO. Trying to use a dremel will be more likely to get the hole out of round. Harbor Freight has some that offer larger hole sizes, that should be in the range you need. Plus they're dirt cheap. As long as you don't mind getting one, or only a few, holes from the bit I'd go that route.

A larger step bit, that has the size you need on it, is the best method IMO. Trying to use a dremel will be more likely to get the hole out of round. Harbor Freight has some that offer larger hole sizes, that should be in the range you need. Plus they're dirt cheap. As long as you don't mind getting one, or only a few, holes from the bit I'd go that route.

This is the best advice you will get.

hole needs to be 1 9/16". I have a hole punch that will do 1 1/2" so I need to make up 1/16" The largest step bit I have seen is 1 3/8" so even worse that what I got now.

edit: This is a hole for welding spud so the hole does not have to be PERFECT as the spud is flanged and will be soldered. The other option is to grind the spud down as well

I looked for a coned grinding bit and I guess they do not make ones large enough. However I could get the largest I could find and that will help without deforming the hole as long as I am careful and move slowly. Will this cause working hardening?

edit: found this grinding bit that should work. What do you guys think? Again my big concern is work hardening.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NORTON-Vitrified-Mounted-Point-2D831

I would have gone after it with a file. As you said yourself, the opening does not need to be perfect. File a little and try the fit. With a bit of patience you CAN get a perfect fit.

edit: This is a hole for welding spud so the hole does not have to be PERFECT as the spud is flanged and will be soldered. The other option is to grind the spud down as well

In that case you can just grind the flange off the face of the spud and solder it on. The same advice is given on brewhardware.com. I did it with a regular 1" NPS and that has proven to be very solid. My build thread.
DSC00124.jpg

I can tell you that it that the flange isn't necessary because you get an incredibly strong bond with solder.

well I have a small test pot I paid $1 for so I think I will try and go slow and grind it with the grinding bit ($3). If that fails I will look towards soldering a SS nut on.

I've used a carbide burr in a die grinder many times to enlarge holes in SS kegs. I think you can get a smaller version for a Dremel tool and for thin metal it would probably work fine.

Back