How would one correct for highly alkaline irrigation water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Short of cisterns or rain barrels?

I am going to test my water to verify as well as my soil using both distilled water and my tap but,

Lets assume my pH 9.0 to 9.3 tap water is taking my soils out of optimum range for hops (6.5 to 7.5) and is affecting nutrient availabilty (uptake) but, with distilled my soil is optimum.

How to address the issue and be able to use the tap water without screwing my soil up or having to install an collection system?

Watering with the hose is so convienient.

I have been trying to locate a reference to calculate the potential effects but have only found papers on how soil can effect water runoff pH. Not vice versa.

Short of cisterns or rain barrels?

I am going to test my water to verify as well as my soil using both distilled water and my tap but,

Lets assume my pH 9.0 to 9.3 tap water is taking my soils out of optimum range for hops (6.5 to 7.5) and is affecting nutrient availabilty (uptake) but, with distilled my soil is optimum.

How to address the issue and be able to use the tap water without screwing my soil up or having to install an collection system?

Watering with the hose is so convienient.

I have been trying to locate a reference to calculate the potential effects but have only found papers on how soil can effect water runoff pH. Not vice versa.

I would compensate with soil additives. A local nursery should have soil conditioners for your type of water.

Back