first house...no money to brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
haha, as the title says, i just closed on my first house ever. i'm really excited and it has a great area outside covered and connected to the garage for my brewing. only problem is this summer will be shot as far as brewing goes, or at least cut back alot. but its worth it, and i can't wait to start brewing again when i can!

right now i'm thinking once i get back on my feet to start doing full boils and moving up to AG. hopefully by this time next year i can start kegging too.

Congrats on the first house. I was in a similar boat in September of last year. However, my brewing increased 10 fold once I moved in and had a place to brew, ferment, store my goodies, a new keezer....

It feels good to BE OWNED, if you have a mortgage :cross:

Congrats... we built a new house and moved in a couple months ago too. It really is a good feeling to have your OWN place. Brewing is still cheaper than buying all the beer I like, soooo, it is still a deal. I also explained to my wife that the house is for her, so I have MANY years of brewing gear to buy to make up for that!

So you are going to stop drinking beer all together? Seems having tighter purse strings is a GOOD reason to brew, as the beer is a LOT cheaper to make than purchase.

I cant wait to have a house so I can have a garage to store my Mustangs and brew in! Congrats!

I just signed a lease today. That means double rent next month - brewing may be tight for a while.

Congrats, Evan. That's great news!

i had to take about a four month hiatus when we moved house. but it was more because i didn't want to move a bunch of full carboys. i just wound down when we decided we were moving, and waited a few months till we were settled in...

we didn't have cable or interweb either during those four months.

I feel your pain. Back when the real Evan(!) bought his house about 3 years ago, I wasn't yet brewing---but I do remember the lifestyle shock of going from $900/mo rent to $1600/mo mortgage.

As others have noted, though, unless you plan to stop drinking beer altogether, brewing your own is definitely cheaper than buying from the store---that is, as long as you can refrain from buying a bunch of new equipment.

EVAN! I used to fly into Charlottesville... neat little place you have out there in VA. Diverted there once during an emergency too! ha ha

Mustangfreak said:
I cant wait to have a house so I can have a garage to store my Mustangs and brew in! Congrats!

another mustang owner! i have a 2006 GT, white with red leather, it is still my first love.

and it is still cheaper to brew sometimes more then buying microbrew. though i still do extract, and i was more or less refering to buying AG and/or Draft equiptment. those are big buys that'll have to wait. so i figured i'd cut back on the extract brewing to save for either AG or Draft (both will come, just not at the same time)

Back