My 2nd Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
YES! I'm still conditioning the oatmeal stout, but my second batch (an extract IPA from Muntons) tastes GOOD! :ban:

Albiet I did boil it, and it was a no boil kit. So it's a little less hopped than an IPA should be. But on the average, it's still a good beer. :rockin: It was way too easy. Who knew?!

Now I really can't wait to put in batch 3. That's going to be a dry irish stout with some speciatly grain steeped in. In addition to the grains normally to be steeped, about 1/3 lb of chocolate malt is also going in. Will that make it a chocolate stout?

No, it won't make it a chocolate stout, but it might make it a more chocolaty stout. :) If you keep the IBUs down on such a beer, it should turn out more like dark chocolate and less like coffee.

To really call something a "chocolate stout," you should add chocolate, cocoa, or cacao nibs. However, I've never found a chocolate stout that I enjoy as much as a stout that is brewed without all that junk but still tastes strongly of dark chocolate. The actual chocolate just gives some weird, unnatural flavor.

That's all a matter of personal taste, though, as many people I know enjoy the chocolate stouts (SWMBO included). Hey, they make 'em. Somebody's gotta drink 'em. :)

TL

I agree with TexLaw. Adding chocolate grain will not make a beer a 'chocolate stout'. I have added about 1# of chocolate malt to a porter and it turned out great. I wouldn't go much more than that though. In order to make a true chocolate stout, as TexLaw points out, you need to add some cocoa or some other form of chocolate.

Back