The HOBBIT......don't bother

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally saw it so I can weigh in. I expected it to be more childish as the Hobbit is a child's story so I won't complain about some of the slapstick and toilet humor. However, too many scenes seemed intentionally drawn out to add filler. I hope the editors cut chops off about 45 minutes of film time in the same way I was excited when the LOTR added an hour of film time to their extended cuts. Other than that it was an enjoyable film and striking in IMAX 3D. I'm glad I paid money to go see it instead of waiting for Netflix.

I would have been perfectly happy waiting to see that at home, I didn't think it was big screen worthy.

headbanger said:
Supposedly all the extras not in the original story were things that Tolkien embellished over the years after publishing the original story.

Overall though, a really good flick that honors its Tolkien roots IMO.

this is not true. there are many departures from tolkien's middle earth. the largest departure is the use of azog in the movie. in tolkien's mythology, azog was killed by dain ninety-one years before bilbo was even born. it would seem to me that peter jackson needed to attempt to create more intensity as the dwarves traveled. rather than simply traveling to the lonely mountain, in the movie they are fleeing azog and the other orcs.

i also missed the conversation with the eagles. they speak in the novel and do not speak in the movie.

it is simply not 'the hobbit.' it is not the novel. it's an interpretation of the story which leads up to LOTR (with plenty added from jackson's imagination).

i will be seeing it again in the theater, though for now my original sentiments remain true: i'm not disappointed and not thrilled with the movie. everyone should go see it, though, to make up their own minds.

Again. I am not "hating" I am saying that people like ME (very few of you are so lucky) will HATE it for being so far from the book.

It was a good action movie? Great. Enjoy next weekend while watching the next Hollywood piece of crap.

You are probably also a member of the crew that judges music like "It has a good beat, and I can dance to it!"

;)

Read the hobbit 5+ times. Re-read it before seeing the movie. I was disappointed.

Slapstick, cheap humor was added in places: burping, troll scene, "that'll do it"-Goblin King. Take it or leave it - personal taste.

Crucial development was missed: Gandalf not mimicking the trolls. Gandalf turning lights into fire in the goblin cavern (how cool would that have looked!). Gandalf throwing down fire that sets wargs on fire in all kinds of colors (another awesome CGI missed).

Why?

People won't accept a humble, shy Bilbo that ends up being heroic. We need it thrown in our face. ie: Troll scene, Saving Thorin from goblin. All of this changes Bilbo's hidden courage/bravery into an in-your-face-now kind of character(!= Hobbit!).

This works good for movie one, but what will happen later in the book/movies? Bilbo has already hit his stride, what's next? Maybe they make him shoot down Smaug.

Just watched it and enjoyed it. Did NOT enjoy 3d. Man what a headache I've got, it adds nothing to a film. It is not like the books, and I was sad to see certain things left out and didn't understand why other things were added, and yes some of the humor was pretty lame and not needed. But taking it for what it was I can easily see PP's B+ rating. And now I remember why I haven't watched a 3D movie since the 80's.

Pan's Labyrinth.

You're being kind of insulting to some people though, TBH. :eek:

That is an awesome movie. Figured you weren't referring to Devil'sBackbone, my personal favorite.

Yeah, occasionally I lose patience when my honest opinion is labeled as "hate", so I give em some real hate to chew on. Just how I roll.:drunk:

Again. I am not "hating" I am saying that people like ME (very few of you are so lucky) will HATE it for being so far from the book.

It was a good action movie? Great. Enjoy next weekend while watching the next Hollywood piece of crap.

You are probably also a member of the crew that judges music like "It has a good beat, and I can dance to it!"

;)

who said you was hatin'?

Never seen Devil's Backbone, much as I've been meaning to.

It is more stark than Pan's, and more supernatural than fantastical (a subtle distinction). Less colorful, but right up my alley.

who said you was hatin'?

Saw the hobbit movie on Christmas eve. I'm not sure what all the hate is about......

Guess it was Darwin. Looking back, it may just have been a turn of phrase that I wasn't used to. Hate is a strong word.(or it used to be)

Saw it this weekend in 3D. Never read the books, so I don't have much to go on, but I agree that it kinda dragged on a bit too long and for being shot for 3D, the 3D portions of it were pretty weak. Still a pretty decent movie overall.

Ran across a couple of good articles discussing Jackson's departure from the book here and here if anyone's interested.

Interesting but I am still shaking my head.

Instead of directly contradicting the book, Peter J could have made a new nameless orc who was visibly recognizeable, and memorable to give the marauding orc horde a face, instead of rewriting AZOG.

Why did Thorin need to be more likeable?

I understand that it is a movie, not a book, and therefore has to differ.

I have stated that I was THRILLED with LOTR. I do not expect word for word.

I am just not that picky. The Hobbit screwed the pooch in so many areas.

Finally decided that if the 1st LOTR hadn't bees SO good, my pre-conceptions for the hobbit would have been lower.

Watched district 9 and wow. Peter is one of the best.

I didn't read through all of the thread, just the first few replies, but am I the only one who enjoyed The Hobbit movie? I read the book about 15 years ago, so I didn't catch that it wasn't as faithful to the story as the LOTR trilogy was. Maybe if I had read it more recently, that might have bothered me. Visually it was top notch and just what I had expected. I will agree that the story's rhythm never really came together as well as the LOTR movies... But it was still good IMO. I'm glad that they broke this into three movies. I know they did it for $$$ of course, but it gives the fans about 8-9 hours of movie rather than 3. I'm good with that! I'm anxiously awaiting the next movie and will purchase An Unexpected Journey once it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Finally decided that if the 1st LOTR hadn't bees SO good, my pre-conceptions for the hobbit would have been lower.

Watched district 9 and wow. Peter is one of the best.

I didn't read through all of the thread, just the first few replies, but am I the only one who enjoyed The Hobbit movie? I read the book about 15 years ago, so I didn't catch that it wasn't as faithful to the story as the LOTR trilogy was. Maybe if I had read it more recently, that might have bothered me. Visually it was top notch and just what I had expected. I will agree that the story's rhythm never really came together as well as the LOTR movies... But it was still good IMO. I'm glad that they broke this into three movies. I know they did it for $$$ of course, but it gives the fans about 8-9 hours of movie rather than 3. I'm good with that! I'm anxiously awaiting the next movie and will purchase An Unexpected Journey once it comes out on Blu-Ray.

See above. Expectations too high.

Movies are never as good as the books upon which they are based. I've read the LOTR trilogy, The Hobbit, the Silmarillion several times and will probably re-read it every 10 years or so for the rest of my life. I liked the movies for what they were but they can't replace the books and I didn't expect them to. I watched the Hobbit last night and I actually enjoyed the additional story lines including Azog's new roll and Radagast the Brown's appearance. Though, I wish they had taken the time to develop the Dwarf characters.

i haven't read the whole LOTR series, but did read all of the Hobbit about 10 years ago. From what i have heard is there is actually more story in the hobbit htan the whole lotr series. Its a pretty fast paced book, and i have heard LOTR drags on with setting some scenes, and has a lot of fluff that wasn't included in the movies. Also, parts from the appendix to return of the king (?) were included in the hobbit trilogy.

The hobbit contains a ton less information than the Lord of the Rings. Now there's a lot more crud in the Lord of the Rings (screw the Songs) but in terms of scope, the Hobbit is like the original 13 colonies, and the LOTR is like the whole US. The hobbit involves 4 primary locations, Shire, Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, and the Lonely Mountain. The Hobbit paces itself better because the Hobbit is a children's book while LOTR is an adult's book.

Hobbit is relatively simple, with only about 20 or so important characters while Lord of the Rings have countless important characters. The movie glossed over some unimportant parts and some incredibly important parts as well, some for understandable purposes (like having the Army of the Undead end the Battle for Pelanor fields to make it faster) other things that I hate are the entire absence of the importance of things that are super important in the book like the Gifts of Galadriel, also makes the hobbits seem like children for most of the movies (For example, Aragorn built the fire on Weathertop and Boromir threw the stones into the lake outisde of Moria), and many more things. There's a ton of awesome stuff in the movies that's left out of the books that LOTR nerds love. I would recommend reading the books. They may take some time to get into and honestly you could probably skip the Songs, but just read it and I think you'll love it.

The hobbit contains a ton less information than the Lord of the Rings. Now there's a lot more crud in the Lord of the Rings (screw the Songs) but in terms of scope, the Hobbit is like the original 13 colonies, and the LOTR is like the whole US. The hobbit involves 4 primary locations, Shire, Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, and the Lonely Mountain. The Hobbit paces itself better because the Hobbit is a children's book while LOTR is an adult's book.

Hobbit is relatively simple, with only about 20 or so important characters while Lord of the Rings have countless important characters. The movie glossed over some unimportant parts and some incredibly important parts as well, some for understandable purposes (like having the Army of the Undead end the Battle for Pelanor fields to make it faster) other things that I hate are the entire absence of the importance of things that are super important in the book like the Gifts of Galadriel, also makes the hobbits seem like children for most of the movies (For example, Aragorn built the fire on Weathertop and Boromir threw the stones into the lake outisde of Moria), and many more things. There's a ton of awesome stuff in the movies that's left out of the books that LOTR nerds love. I would recommend reading the books. They may take some time to get into and honestly you could probably skip the Songs, but just read it and I think you'll love it.

Well said!

I didn't mind that they left out Tom Bombadil either. I Always skip the countless songs.

OK, so I didn't give a hoot that The Hobbit was bastardized for the movie.

But tonight I'm off to see Les Miserables, and the director better not have messed with this one. I say it's the greatest story ever told and sacrosanct.

So, maybe I'm a hypocrite. My god I'm excited.

passedpawn said:
I just watched the trailer. She is gorgeous. And it seems she sings very well too.

So I've heard, I've yet to see the film yet though. I heard Crowe's singing is a little robotic, but other than that I've heard nothing but good things about the movie in general. Enjoy

I took it as a condensed recreation of the best scenes from the first 3... and the rest was kind of pushing it to be almost walt disney'ish.

I haven't read any of the books (too long for my taste) but have seen all the movies. I very much like the LoTR's. I care about the characters and the outcome of the story. In The Hobbit, however, if Bilbo were to vacate the story at any point I would be indifferent. I just wasn't drawn in at all- and to me, that's what makes a movie exciting. Kyle

I'm glad that they broke this into three movies. I know they did it for $$$ of course, but it gives the fans about 8-9 hours of movie rather than 3. I'm good with that! I'm anxiously awaiting the next movie and will purchase An Unexpected Journey once it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Meh.

200 pages into The Hobbit and you're at the final scene.

200 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring, and you haven't even left The Shire yet.

I read the hobbit in less than 8 hours as a child. What can they possibly fill three movies with? :\

thadius856 said:
Meh.

200 pages into The Hobbit and you're at the final scene.

200 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring, and you haven't even left The Shire yet.

I read the hobbit in less than 8 hours as a child. What can they possibly fill three movies with? :\

I take it you haven't seen the movie yet ;)

I take it you haven't seen the movie yet ;)

I have not.

I always say I'm going to watch certain movies in the theater. Then I never do. I hate theaters, especially when I have one at home.

Next I say I'll watch it when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Then I never do. I hate playing for Blu-Rays, especially when I can stream.

Last I say I'll watch it once it hits Netflix or Hulu or any other number of services. Then I never do. I always forget about them by that point.

The cycle repeats.

thadius856 said:
I have not.

I always say I'm going to watch certain movies in the theater. Then I never do. I hate theaters, especially when I have one at home.

Next I say I'll watch it when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Then I never do. I hate playing for Blu-Rays, especially when I can stream.

Last I say I'll watch it once it hits Netflix or Hulu or any other number of services. Then I never do. I always forget about them by that point.

The cycle repeats.

I understand. The last movie I saw in the theater was Top Gun. Not really though. But you get my point. I'm not a movie guy. I had a buddy once who would watch every single movie to come through the theater, even ones that once they come out on DVD are in the flimsy paperback cases and sell for 9.99 a month after the box office. You know, the ones where their only redeeming feature is a set of unknown tits. Ok so I've been drinking.

I understand. The last movie I saw in the theater was Top Gun. Not really though. But you get my point. I'm not a movie guy. I had a buddy once who would watch every single movie to come through the theater, even ones that once they come out on DVD are in the flimsy paperback cases and sell for 9.99 a month after the box office. You know, the ones where their only redeeming feature is a set of unknown tits. Ok so I've been drinking.

Yeah. Some of my co-workers are there. One in particular seems like he does nothing else. Being a cinemophile is understandable. But he watches everything. And I do mean everything.

Conversations often end with him saying something like, "oh man, that's just like that one scene in Leprechauns: Back 2 tha Hood when Sharice does a line of coke off the fat guy and the leprechaun gets her mid-snort."

That movie didn't even make it to theaters. It was direct-to-DVD. And yes, in case you're wondering, it was a Leprechauns sequel set in the inner city, spun to a black crowd, and filmed on a terribly low budget.

Uh... yeah. Who watches that crap? And how the hell was the phone call I just described to you anything like that scene?

Avid Tolkien fan here, I wore out copies of the Hobbit and LoTR. Silmarilion, Unfinished Tales 1&2, The Complete Guide to Middle Earth, Adventures of Tom Bombadil....geeking out!!!

Anyway, I think the movie will be highly appealing to folks who are not really familiar with the book(s). Lots of action, gore, CG that is well done. Purists will probably do what I did in the first few minutes...admit to ourselves we expected to much from Jackson, and start counting the ways he tweeked things to fit the needs of the profit ratio...

BTW, the part that really disapointed me was how the movie completely failed to communicate the fact that the meetings of the White Council went on for MANY years during whitch Saruman attempeted to sway the White Council from action against the growing darkness in Greenwood (Mirkwood in the later times)...

thadius856 said:
Yeah. Some of my co-workers are there. One in particular seems like he does nothing else. Being a cinemophile is understandable. But he watches everything. And I do mean everything.

Conversations often end with him saying something like, "oh man, that's just like that one scene in Leprechauns: Back 2 tha Hood when Sharice does a line of coke off the fat guy and the leprechaun gets her mid-snort."

That movie didn't even make it to theaters. It was direct-to-DVD. And yes, in case you're wondering, it was a Leprechauns sequel set in the inner city, spun to a black crowd, and filmed on a terribly low budget.

Uh... yeah. Who watches that crap? And how the hell was the phone call I just described to you anything like that scene?

Yes! I'm glad we understand each other ;)

passedpawn said:
OK, so I didn't give a hoot that The Hobbit was bastardized for the movie.

But tonight I'm off to see Les Miserables, and the director better not have messed with this one. I say it's the greatest story ever told and sacrosanct.

So, maybe I'm a hypocrite. My god I'm excited.

What's so great about it? I've never seen it nor heard the story, but generally I can't stand musicals.

passedpawn said:
You'd hate if if you don't like musicals or at least seen the broadway run of the show.

Read the book. If you're not a big reader you might not like that either.

Not a big reader but I can certainly appreciate a good story. If you're serious about the best then I will check it out for sure.

Not a big reader but I can certainly appreciate a good story. If you're serious about the best then I will check it out for sure.

If you're not a big reader, you're probably not going to get through the book. It's definitely a great story though, and IMO the best musical (and the only one I know most of the words to :D), so if you look at the book and find it daunting, I'd still give the musical a shot (be it the movie or otherwise).

Back