• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bourbon Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have a contact for a quantity of bourbon barrels for a serious beer brewer? Have closed large trailer and will haul load. Thinking 30-40 to make it worthwhile.

We are in Ontario, Canada and have our own large cargo van that should hold 40-50 depending on size. Let me know what you have. Interested in larger barrels for a brew pub. Want wet barrels. Spring run best for us as snow expected soon.

I will be coming to Philly two days after Christmas. How many do you want?

Mike

I would definitly buy one. The ten gallon volume. I could meet in philly. As long as long as its a wet bourbon barrel i would realy appreciate it. Are you affiliated with finger lakes?

No. The owner is a friend and I have used two of his barrels before for aging stouts. The barrels are wet and there is some choice in variety. He uses them for bourbon first and then a second aging of some type of brandy. He usually gives me a decent deal if he is in the distillery when I buy.

If any bourbon only barrels are available i would prefer that. I could experiment with a brandy barrel too. What would you want for your trouble?

Not really any trouble. I would suggest you pm your cell phone and I can let you know when I am going. I can call and let you know what the choices are when I am there and you can pick what you want. I plan to be in Philly area on Thursday and Friday after xmas.....might be staying in King of Prussia. I will be at airport Thursday during day and then I am going to find some microbrews in downtown Philly.

Who wants to bring me two in the DC area? :) I'd drive up to Baltimore to meet!!!! I have a buddy with family in Philly, but his dad just moved to Virginia and he just (Sunday) had a kid, so no chance of using him.

oldbucket said:
Not really any trouble. I would suggest you pm your cell phone and I can let you know when I am going. I can call and let you know what the choices are when I am there and you can pick what you want. I plan to be in Philly area on Thursday and Friday after xmas.....might be staying in King of Prussia. I will be at airport Thursday during day and then I am going to find some microbrews in downtown Philly.

Any chance I can get in on this? Doe he he have larger barrels, 53 gallon etc?

I will be slightly limited on space. Bringing a minivan with 5 people. Could probably bring 4 barrels....maybe 5. We need space for suitcases, etc...at least going down. Re: barrels to DC...you might want to work a deal with someone in Philly to hold them for you and then drive up there at your convenience. For all interested......The barrels are $91 each. They come wet with a bung in them to keep them from drying. Most have had bourbon in them followed by some type of brandy/liqour. Check their website for types they sell to get an idea. I would call each buyer from the distillery and let you choose what you want from what is available. I would like paypal payment prior to my purchase so I do not get stuck. If I can get a discount, I will refund any savings. No charge for transport. You will just have to make it easy for me to get the barrels to you when I am in Philly.

I would definitly buy one. The ten gallon volume. I could meet in philly. As long as long as its a wet bourbon barrel i would realy appreciate it. Are you affiliated with finger lakes?
If you're interested Keystone Homebrewing in Montgomeryville has 15 gallon dad's hat rye barrels for 85$

I am in Louisville, Ky.

Not gonna drive anything to another state, but to a distillery and to UPS maybe. 8 or 9 distilleries in a 40 mile radius.
Unfortunately I HATE bourbon beer. Love Bourbon.

oldbucket said:
I will be slightly limited on space. Bringing a minivan with 5 people. Could probably bring 4 barrels....maybe 5. We need space for suitcases, etc...at least going down. Re: barrels to DC...you might want to work a deal with someone in Philly to hold them for you and then drive up there at your convenience. For all interested......The barrels are $91 each. They come wet with a bung in them to keep them from drying. Most have had bourbon in them followed by some type of brandy/liqour. Check their website for types they sell to get an idea. I would call each buyer from the distillery and let you choose what you want from what is available. I would like paypal payment prior to my purchase so I do not get stuck. If I can get a discount, I will refund any savings. No charge for transport. You will just have to make it easy for me to get the barrels to you when I am in Philly.

Trying to work a corny keg/barrel swap/meetup halfway with someone up in the Philly area. I want two barrels, but would still be happy with one. Will keep you posted if its a go and will coordinate via PM. I love it when a plan comes together (hopefully!)

What size barrels are we talking about here? I live in Philly so I could help accomodate and organize if I end up being in.

I just contacted the owner of Finger Lakes Distillery and there is a plethora of empty barrels. I am planning to use the one barrel that I have to get a visual estimate of how many barrels I can fit...pending SWMBO approval to max pack the van with barrels. I am considering a cartop carrier for luggage to maximize space. Once I know how many barrels I can fit we will go first come first served for orders. My preference is full pay prior to me purchasing via paypal. Some have suggested 50% payment but this is just like buying any for sale item. You pay and then trust that it will be shipped. Only difference in this case is I am going to the distillery, picking them up, driving them to philly and meeting up with you and not charging anything for shipping. If you are not comfortable with this plan, I fully understand and will pass the barrel on to the next interested. Again, I am gaining nothing from this transaction so if there are no interested parties, I do not lose anything. This seems fair and consistent with forum practice when purchasing items. I will also call each of you from the distillery and let you select the barrel that you want. You can visit their website to see what they produce. Again, their process is the barrel is first used for bourbon, or rye whiskey. They then use the "used" barrels for a second aging of either the pot still whiskey or one of several other products. Their site describes their products. http://www.fingerlakesdistilling.com/index.php/our-products Will this work for you? I have kept PM's so I know who is interested and I will add to the list (getting close to max barrels) as PM's come in. Again, these are 10 gallon oak barrels, wet, with bung.

Works for me!! I'll PM my cell and who will be coordinating pickup.
Were I picking them up directly from you, I would definitely bring along some homebrew for your efforts. This is a great thing you're offering, homebrew in return for barrel delivery is well worth it. Will see what I can do to make sure you get at least a bottle or two.

Cheers!

Your offer is most gracious, give a holler if you ever head over to Vermont or up to Lake Placid NY area. I'd be interested

Hey guys, my brother in law that we were going to Philly to visit just went back into the hospital for chemo. Our trip is delayed a bit...hopefully early January. I will let you know when plans firm up.
Mike

Hey Mike,
Just wanted to follow-up and first, hope you're brother-in-law is doing better and second, see if this is still going to be an option.

Happy New Year,
Aaron

I will be heading to Philly Mar 8-10 and can bring barrels. Store price is $91 plus tax (I think). I will charge $100 per barrel and I will refund any difference from actual price receipt provided. I usually get a discount and I will pass that along. I will not charge shipping as long as you make it easy to get the barrel to you. I am thinking of meeting at keystone home brew, victory brewing or at my hotel in king of Prussia. Pm me if interested.......first come first served....only so much room. These are 10 gallon oak barrels that have been used for bourbon followed by a brandy. Usually a selection of favors. I can call you with your choices. Ready....set....go!

image-2889443702.jpg

image-1349993980.jpg

I just ordered a barrel from keystone shipping to Ct was only 20.00 not bad for that size barrel.

Yeah the price is unreal I payed the same for that 5 gallon barrel back in fall.

I've heard the whiskey that comes out of them is awesome. I've had it but I'm not a whiskey fan at all so I wouldn't know a good one from a garbage one. Not sure how far their distribution reaches yet but they've become wildly popular in the Philly area. All my hipster friends love it...

We keep a full stock of freshly dumped 15 gallon Dad's Hat Whiskey barrels in stock, and we ship them to anywhere that is on land. Here's a link:

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/sho...ries/15-gal-rye-whiskey-barrel-dad-s-hat.html

We received some interest on this board, but unfortunately the e-mails bounced back to us. We pick these barrels up ourselves (no third party trucking company) so they are always the best a homebrewer can get!

Back