DIY Cooler leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klereue

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just built myself a mash tun out of a cooler, but where the drain fitting goes through the wall, there is a small leak. Can I use JB weld or some sort of caulk to seal it up? Or is that stuff bad to be inside the mash tun?

How about a bit more information? Like, what make/model cooler, what kind of bulkhead, maybe even a picture of your setup. I doubt there's much under the sun MLT-wise that hasn't been made to work by someone here that can help straighten your kit out for you...

Cheers!

It's a Rubbermaid 48 Qt, It did not have a drain on it so I had to drill through it. I'm at work now so I can't get a picture, I put 2" threaded Brass pipe through the wall. A stainless threaded tube with the rubber insides taken out is screwed onto the inside of the pipe and a 1/2" brass ball valve threaded onto the outside. I found some info of other people using JB Weld in coffee makers and other brewing supplies, so I went ahead and sealed the inside with that. Once that dries I'm gonna use my dremmel to smooth it out so there aren't any rough surfaces.

Back