Stormaktsporter RIS clone mash temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has experience with brewing big beers with significant amounts of simple sugars in the bill (not like big Belgian beers - I don't want this to be as dry as possible).

So I got my hands on a jar of heather honey and I'm wanting to make a RIS in the image of Stormaktsporter from Närke (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/narke-kaggen-stormaktsporter/58057/).

Batch size: 3.75 gallons
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.090
I want to target a FG of 1.018 giving me an ABV of 9.5%
IBU: 80

2 # 10 oz Light DME
4 # Maris Otter
12 oz Roasted Barley
10 oz Brown Malt
10 oz Caramunich II
4 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Carafa III
4 oz Aromatic Malt
1# 1.6 oz Heather Honey (10.5% of grist bill)

90 minute Boil
.82 oz Magnum (14.7aa) @60
.5 oz Styrian Goldings, .05 oz EKG @ 30
.5 oz Styrian Goldings, .05 oz EKG @ 0

I subbed DME in place of some of the base malt b/c I want to make sure I hit my OG and not have any efficiency issues.

My question is: what mash temp should I target? with 10% simple sugars I'm afraid to go too low and not have enough body I expect to have when I drink a RIS. I really want to fall into the 1.017-1.021 range (landing the ABV in the 9%ish range).

Anyone have any ideas?

Oops left out a key bit of info: I'm using WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast (attenuates like WLP001)

Do you have much experience with WLP007? Are you brewing a smaller beer first with it to build up your yeast for the RIS? If so I would look back at your mash temps and attenuation levels. 10% isnt that big of a deal with a starting gravity this big. I am planning on brewing an RIS with WLP002 and I want to got around 148* but I think I am still going to need to use some simple sugars to get it to the 1.020s and keep the SG what I want.

If its like 001 I would think you could go somewhere around 150-152? But it really depends on your system. Good Luck

Yeah 007 is my house strain, I have a slurry that is a few generations old. Right now I'm leaning towards 150 F b/c I would rather have this drier than sweeter. Really I think I'm just going to have to try it out and report my results.

Back