Opinions, please. First beer I'm designing (sorta'...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drayman86

Reaction score
There was an AHA Rally April 5, 2007 at Rochester Mills Brewery in Rochester, Michigan. The brewmaster was kind enough to provide us with the stats on all his beers.

My absolute favorite was a Pale Ale he titled "Amarillo Pale Ale". Knockout Amarillo hop flavor balanced by a wonderful malt I'd never experienced.

Anyway, the grain bill was Maris Otter, Crystal 45L, Wheat, Victory, and Brown. Hops are Magnum and Amarillo. OG = 1.056. American Ale yeast.

After researching through the Ray Daniels bible, I decided to go with 70% Maris Otter, 10% each of Crystal 45L and Wheat, and 5% each of Victroy and Brown. I'm totally guessing at the hop additions in terms of amounts and times. It looks more like an IPA than a Pale which it totally OK with me.

Just looking for opinions on the grain percentages and the hop schedule. Thanks!

Amarillo Pale Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/19/2007
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer: Zak
Boil Size: 12.55 gal Asst Brewer: Krapolla
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
17.50 lb Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.0 %
2.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
2.50 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.25 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
1.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.0 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (45 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 40.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 25.00 lb
Sparge Water: 8.54 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 31.25 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 11.2 PSI Carbonation Used: Kegged/Forced
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 40.0 F Age for: 28.0 days

You are probably going to have to run this recipe a few times while adjusting the hop schedule. One suggestion I have is to adjust your OG down to the 1.056. If it were me I would adjust it to about 1.048. The 6.7% abv is a bit too much bite for this beer. IMHO It's a real interesting grain bill. Good luck on the hop schedule.

Thanks, SirSudster.

Yeah, that was my initial thought, too. 1.069 is kinda' big, and I AM trying to go for the original flavor. I'll try reducing the total grains to about 22 pounds or so as see where that gets me. Our system runs closer to 80% efficiency anyway, so better to be a bit lower on the grains.

Gee, I gotta run it a few times, eh? That means I'll have to drink more. :ban:

Sir Sudster said:
Or share it with your virtual drinkin buddies.:D

Hey, if you wanna make the trip, I've got a couch downstairs right next to the kegerrator. :tank:

Reduced the overall grain bill to 20 pounds total while maintaining the percentages, and Beer Smith calculates an estimated OG of 1.056. :rockin:

I also played with the hop scheduled to arrive at the following:

0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Estimated IBUs = 30.

I'm pumped. Moving this one up to the very front of the "on deck circle". Will brew this coming Friday. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Thats an interesting hop schedule. I like the idea of using a low AA hop for so many additions, get the bittering going with the magnum, but do a bunch of low AA additions for aroma and flavor. neat idea. wanna send me some for... evaluation? :)

Rook said:
Thats an interesting hop schedule. I like the idea of using a low AA hop for so many additions, get the bittering going with the magnum, but do a bunch of low AA additions for aroma and flavor. neat idea. wanna send me some for... evaluation? :)

Thanks for the opinion, Rook.

As a total newbie to designing, about the only thing I understand about hop additions is early = bitter, later = aroma and flavor.

The very best thing about this beer is supposed to be the knock-out citrus/flowery aroma and taste of the Amarilo hops. Glad to have a vote of confidence that I appear to be on the right track. :mug:

I like your recipe , the only advise I would give would be to cut a # of crystal out. That stuff goes along way . I use 1.5# in my 10 gal IPA recipe. Just a thought.

gabe said:
I like your recipe , the only advise I would give would be to cut a # of crystal out. That stuff goes along way . I use 1.5# in my 10 gal IPA recipe. Just a thought.

Right, thanks Gabe.

Back