Post pics of your smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0405.jpg

damn, duckfoot!

If I didn't already have an offset, I build one of these tomorrow.

I wanted a BGE, but the budget has been thinned by the addition of another mouth to feed, I went DIY route....

I present, the Large Brown Ovum:

IMG_0405.jpg

20" Terra Cotta pot and bowl, a few Weber replacement grates, BGE gasket and thermo, 12" t.c. bowl for a fire bowl and voila'!

Since pic was taken, added BGE SS draft door on the bottom...

I would defiantly like some more pics of this one!!
Great JOB!

Texas char griller. Close to 10 years old. Needs paint but it hasn't affect the meat yet so I'm holding off.

I have made a few mods. Fireplace rope seal around lid. Extra thermometers. Lengthened smoke stack down to grate lever. Baffle plates inside to distribute heat. Etc.

image-97693484.jpg

image-2278797844.jpg

image-1835905199.jpg

heres my smoker just a 55 gal drum, the stand i made from 1/8" carbon steel. Welded with 7018 and is held together by 2 bolts can be taken down and ready for transport with in 2 minutes. i got another drum i plane using as a fire pit prolly mount it directly underneath smoker

P6070019.jpg

heres mine sort of a UDS and SFB hybrid 55 SS drum/30 gallon compressor tank modded

Copy2ofPicture002.jpg

njharvestfestpuppy062.jpg

Picture444.jpg

Mostly all wood cooks,ocasionally support with some lump charcoal

Here are some country style ribs on the L.B.O.

LBO-CSRibs.jpg

Will try to find all the pics for a pseudo build thread...

:mug:

JERK! Where was the invite???

253871_834395872053_23200799_41365415_8017899_n.jpg

New toy. Electric Pellet Smoker. $200, came with 2 sets of 20# bags of Apple, Hickory, and Mesquite, cover, and extended hopper for long smoke times.

Here's my "smoker" earlier today.. right after I threw a bird on it
Bird%20on%20the%20Smoker_sm.jpg

Yes, it's just a boring weber kettle. Minion method FTW!

Here's a pork shoulder I did last week on the same thing:
Pork%252520Shoulder.jpg

Two bacon explosions.
One with fresh green onion sausage , crawfish, and creamcheese.
One with hamburger, crumbled bacon, and cheddar jack cheese.
21f71ae4.jpg

Also 6 lbs of fresh boudin.
2c1cd067.jpg

Finally took a few pics of my ugly drum. I still haven't gotten around to painting it...it would have been a lot easier before mounting all this stuff on it.

I put together an automated blower system with a bunch of stuff I had laying around:
IMG_20110628_184611.jpg

This is the controller. PID, 12VDC adaptor for the computer fan, 24VAC transformer for the damper motor.
IMG_20110628_184633.jpg

Here is the blower unit with everything plugged in. Its just a pvc junction box with a computer fan mounted in the cover and 3-in electrical conduit out the back. I mounted the damper motor to the conduit and drilled the shaft through.
IMG_20110628_184622.jpg

Here is my homemade damper. Just a piece of aluminum screwed to the damper motor shaft.
IMG_20110628_184721.jpg

It works great. Once it settles in to the set temp, it just stays there until its out of fuel.

Can you give some more info on the damper motor, as well as how it operates in conjunction with the fan? I'm assuming that it is never fully closed when you are cooking?

JohnTheBrewist said:
Can you give some more info on the damper motor, as well as how it operates in conjunction with the fan? I'm assuming that it is never fully closed when you are cooking?

It's a spring return damper that I took off a wood stove. The controller turns on the fan and opens the damper when the temp drops. The damper is otherwise fully closed. Of course it is not completely air tight when closed but enough to lower temps.

So what do your temp swings look like? up 2-5° then back down and back down and back up or what?

I really haven't watched it that closely. I usually give it at least a half hour to settle in (sometimes takes a bit longer). Opening the cover, of course disturbs things and takes a bit to recover.

I usually just check it whenever I happen to walk by and if it has been undisturbed for a while, it seems to stay within a few degrees of the setpoint.

I will pay a little more attention next time.

This is AWESOME!!! what paint did you use? I want to do mine like this.

Thank you. I used hi-temp engine spray paint I got from Pep Boys (and a whole roll of masking tape...and most of a Monday afternoon), they had all three colors in stock. You could probably get away with regular spray paint though, I did several cooks in the drum with the black factory finish and it never got even close to hot enough to melt the paint.

I need to light another hot fire in mine to finish burning the original pink paint off. I am going back with good old high temp grill black.

You can get 2000F degree engine paint that will last a while. It's expensive so I just used it on the firebox part of my grill and normal engine paint(650F) for the rest.

Built this last winter with a friend. Made from a food grade fifty five gallon drum, a "custom" lid, and sitting on two wheels with air filled tires in the back as well as one solid caster in the front. You can't see the handle on the back in this picture but we can tilt it back and move it just like a hand truck.

6038510816_bdc112b489_z.jpg

Taken at a bbq around the 4th of July. We did 30lbs of pork butt/shoulder (weight before cooking) in it for a 50ish person BBQ and pulled it. It was a huge hit and we catered another BBQ early last month for around 20ish people. We have been working on our rub for seven or eight years now and everyone loves it. At the 4th of July BBQ I watched a guy go back for pulled pork sandwiches five times.

Quick edit. We started on on one of the green Brinkmann smokers back in 2002ish. We have gone through probably six of them!

Here is the smoker i made from a 85 gal Drum the smokin area is 37 X 25 I can fit 12 racks of St Louis Cut or baby back ribs :ban:

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Here's mine.
My stick burner, my Cookshack smoker, and my webber gas grill.
What can I say, we're meat eaters!
laynespit-1.jpg

A good christmas eh????;)

I made one just like it, but the bottom pot cracked and fell apart after 4 or so uses. do you have a pan or something to hold the coals? I just had a grate off of the floor by 2 inches or so.

Damned shame.

*Oh YEAH!!! BEAUTIFUL THREAD! PROST!!!!!!*

Back