BM's Your-Wit-Ness Belgain Wit - HBT Comp 2nd place category 16A winner - 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
This is a quick and easy witbier that will go over well with anyone.
I entered this beer in the 2009 HBT competition. It tied for second in category 16 with 40 points.

This recipe is based off of Biermuncher's Your Wit-Ness Belgian Wit, or as it might be better known, the "Just another brew day" wit

5.5 gallon
75% efficiency
60 min boil

Grain bill
4.5 lb flaked wheat (Briess)
4 lb pale 2 row (Briess)
1 lb wheat malt (Briess white wheat)

Single infusion mash at 152 for 60 min. Double batch sparge, no mashout.

Hops
1 oz Saaz 3.5%AA - 60 min

Spices
2 chamomile tea bags (I used Celestial Seasonings)
.75 oz black pepper
1 oz coriander
3.5 oz fresh orange zest - I used Valencia oranges

Add all spices to boil at 10 min before flameout in a hop sack. Leave spice sack in wort while chilling for extra flavor. I added a step by squeezing the juice from half an orange into the wort 1 min before flameout.

To keep this beer cloudy, make a slurry out of 1 tablespoon of flour and water. Add this to the boil with the spice additions. The extra starch from the flour will give you a permanent starch haze so it will not clear up after a few weeks in a keg.

Notes
This beer works well with a large variety of yeast, as you can see from the thread. I think Wit yeast would have given this beer an edge for 1st. I took half of my keg of this beer to a work cookout. It was gone within an hour. It goes over well with people who love beer, and BMC drinkers.

Back