First batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwest

Reaction score
Brewing my first batch and everything has gone fine up to this point. Just this morning I racked after 7 days in the primary to the secondary. The potential problem I am worried about is that I did not run the hose to the bottom and some aeration certainly occured when transferring the beer from the plastic bucket to the glass carboy.

There is still some fermentation to go as the gravity was at 1.20 this morning. Will the aeration ruin the beer?

Thanks!

Definitely. I suggest you proceed with the process for practice, then send the finished beer to me for disposal :)

Personally, I doubt if a little air did any harm. Once the beer started flowiing, the natural co2 in the beer came out, and filled the vessel, so you were only splashing beer in CO2. Minimal oxygenation.

Time will tell. Worst possible will be an undesirable, but harmless, tase like stale cookies.

Have you got your second batch fermenting yet?

I would be more than happy to send the batch to you, but for some reason forgot where the Post Office is.....

Any who, thanks for the reply you put me at ease.

More important. Was your primary ferment finished before racking to secondary?

Secondary fermentation is just a phrase for a clearing and conditioning stage. all the fermentation should be finished at this stage.

Nothing bad will happen, but it will take longer to ferment out as you would have removed the brew from all the yeast in primary and left the less flocculent yeast
to finish the job.

Back