Extra Pale Ale Kit - Hop Schedule Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is an all grain kit that I got from Northern Brewer. After asking around, the consensus was that it would come out too bitter based on the kit's instructions.

I changed the hop schedule from 2 ounces at 60 minutes and tried to make it less bitter. Let me know if this was a bad idea...

Ingrediants:

7.5lbs Pale Malt 2 Row
1 lb Belgian Caramel Pils
1 Ounce Cascade (60 Minutes)
1 Ounce Cascade (15 Minutes)
1 Ounce Cascade (Flame out)

1 Ounce Cascade (Dry hopping)

Pushing those hops back to a later addition will lower the bitterness and add more hop flavor and aroma. That's not a bad idea. That is a fairly hoppy recipe considering the low-ish OG.

NB's summary file for it claims 70+ IBUs, but it's wrong in that it assumes 3 ounces of hops for 60 minutes. So I'm guessing the original was around 50, and you're knocking it down to the 30s.

What are they AA's for the Cascade? That would determine if you are on the right track. NB lists Typical alpha: 4.5-7.0% so that is a big range.

However if I was buying a kit I would brew it as is the first time, otherwise just buy ingredients and follow a recipe from HBT and save a few bucks.

Back