Spurhund Zunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Glarus made an awesome BW last year. It is still available in some spots...

Jason, any chance of getting an answer to my other Q... :D

So when you decide that the sourness is good, do you just rack from under the pellicle? Won't the lacto continue to eat? How do you prevent continued fermentation and bottle bombs? Do you just have to drink it fast?

:mug:

Jason, tried this? Is it close to your recipe?

I think it's pretty darn close. I think a good BW should be tart without being too puckering, and Nodding Head's satisfies me immensely. I don't drink mine with woodruff syrup though.

Jason, any chance of getting an answer to my other Q...

Whoops! I totally missed that! The available sugars are depleted by both the Lactobacillus and the Sacch. Obviously, you have to confirm this by watching the OG and making sure it doesn't continue to fall. I try to condition as warm as I can in secondary to push the Lactobacillus along to finish out. These beers finish bone dry. I suppose you could use Campden to knock out the bugs once you've hit a level you like.

Decided I'm going to brew 10 gallons... I'll pitch the Lacto and 1338 into 6 gallons of wort. I'll innoculate the remaining 4 with crushed grain for lacto, wild yeast for some funk, and after a few days, a packet of Notty for sacc. Should be a fun experiment! :mug:

Decided I'm going to brew 10 gallons... I'll pitch the Lacto and 1338 into 6 gallons of wort. I'll innoculate the remaining 4 with crushed grain for lacto, wild yeast for some funk, and after a few days, a packet of Notty for sacc. Should be a fun experiment! :mug:

Sounds like a very cool experiment! Keep me updated.

So you are just going to throw in a handfull of crushed grain? Sounds cool.

After searching around, I made a small starter similar to the Flying Fish Farmhouse Ale recipe from BYO's clone brews. ~1 pint of water at 150*F, add 3 ounces of crushed grain, cover it. I put it in a 105*F oven overnight. I just checked it and it smells like a nice lacto funk is going on already. :ban:

I brewed 10 Gallons of this.

5G I infected with Lacto and it has a nice funk on top :)

5G I just added 3 tbsp of Lactic acid and 1-2 tbsp Apricot extract at kegging. It tastes terrific

Ok, so I was supposed to have my germs yesterday.... so I decdied to do the 24 hour mash thing.... then my hookup forgot the germs...

So what do I do? the mash presently smells real sour and kinda nasty... do I just go ahead, sans germs? Do I keep it mashing for the next week? or do I just chuck it, since the grains cost a whopping 5$ its no biggie.... what to do what to do?

Also, how do I clean up after this? do I need to bleach my mash tun? since It has some sour now (assuming I go ahead) I assume I dont need to do anythign to my kettle... since Its gonna be boiling... what about the CFC? Only want this batch to be sour... not everything :)

So what do I do? the mash presently smells real sour and kinda nasty... do I just go ahead, sans germs? Do I keep it mashing for the next week? or do I just chuck it, since the grains cost a whopping 5$ its no biggie.... what to do what to do?

I'd give it a go and see how it turns out. If it sucks, you're out a very minimal amount of grain and hops. Lauter, sparge and into the kettle for the short boil. The boil will kill the bugs but leave you with a fixed sour.

The tradeoff for using this method is that it's imprecise and hard to control, but it's worth a shot.

As far as cleaning your equipment, I take it you recirculate boiling wort through the CFC and hose prior to chilling? If so, that is sufficient.

Boiling water? nope never did that, I usually run a batch of san through 2-3 times, before and once after each chill... but I could do some boiling water.... :)

right the grain and the hops are minimal... so leave the germs for later? since they will show up eventually.....

do I need to do anythign to the mash tun?

Boiling water? nope never did that, I usually run a batch of san through 2-3 times, before and once after each chill... but I could do some boiling water.... :)

right the grain and the hops are minimal... so leave the germs for later? since they will show up eventually.....

do I need to do anythign to the mash tun?

Do you use a March pump? I recirculate boiling WORT through the pump and CFC and back into the kettle during the last 10 minutes of the boil. This ensures that I've sanitized my equipment. You need to get something inside the CFC and hoses to remove any crud that might be serving as breeding grounds for bugs.

Don't worry about the bugs. You've got plenty of lacto going in that sour mash, I'm sure.

MLT: Wash it out with a caustic cleaner like PBW, rinse well and dry.

Just got ingredients to brew this tomorrow. Luckily, the LBHS had the 5335 in stock and I'm just going to use S-05 for the sach since I don't have time for a starter.

In two months, we'll have temps in the 90's so this will be perfect.

Just got ingredients to brew this tomorrow. Luckily, the LBHS had the 5335 in stock and I'm just going to use S-05 for the sach since I don't have time for a starter.

In two months, we'll have temps in the 90's so this will be perfect.

I pitched S-33 into my second carboy. We'll see how that strain works out vs the European Ale.

Forgot to post the pic of the second carboy with the S-33 and the lacto cultured from grain. It had some really frickin' funky krausen on it!

dsc01745.jpg

The 5335 fermenter smelled like a garbage can during fermentation, the wild culture one smelled fruity and a little floral. I'm not sure it will be sour enough but I guess we will see...

So do you guys have a second set of hoses, auto-siphon,... for this beer?

I'm wondering if I need the RDWHAHB mantra right now? It's not going to matter until I transfer it.

I was thinking I'll get a sour-dedicated hose, and just siphon the old fashioned way. I'm also christening this as a sour only brew-bucket now.

Racked mine yesterday after seven weeks. The wild version wasn't very sour at all, was down to 1.000. I'll let it condition for awhile and then add some acid to the keg to taste. The 5335 version smelled like lemonade so I think the acid level is a lot better in that one. I didn't take a reading yet, I'll let it sit in the secondary for a bit and then take a reading. I was being careful (paranoid) to avoid cross contaminating each half batch with the other.

im still at a loss understanding when to tell if its done. Considering aging this in secondary will it just continue to drop below 1.003 if i dont rack off or with metabisulfite as you suggested?

im still at a loss understanding when to tell if its done. Considering aging this in secondary will it just continue to drop below 1.003 if i dont rack off or with metabisulfite as you suggested?

The activity of the Lactobacillus is limited by the concentration of lactic acid in solution, around 1% if I recall correctly to a pH of 3.8.

I finally tapped mine and this is excellent stuff. I didn't pitch any sacc. in mine, just the 5335. I had 1/2 of a keg left and all the BMC guzzlers that came over for a poker game killed my damn keg!

My wild version is on draft and is tasting good now after adding a few tablespoons of lactic acid to bring up the acidity. It has an off aroma, rather vegetal-like, which I am 110% sure is from an unwanted infection from the grain. However as long as you hold your breath it tastes great! :) The other half made with the 5335 is better, and I'm letting it age until the first keg kicks.

Ohio Brewtus, I read that lacto will just eat sugar and produce lactic acid. Did you ever only drink it and get drunk? I just want to know because I am about to do a sour.

They are a major part of the lactic acid bacteria group, named as such because most of its members convert lactose and other sugars to lactic acid.

So when you decide that the sourness is good, do you just rack from under the pellicle? Won't the lacto continue to eat? How do you prevent continued fermentation and bottle bombs? Do you just have to drink it fast?

I know this was posted a long time ago in this thread, but could someone answer this for me? My brain is telling me that when I prime and bottle this BW, the funk will continue in the bottle. How do you stop this process, or do you just not worry about it and bottle it as you would anything else? Thanks.

An excellent start to the weekend! Just pulled a quick sampler to see how the newest batch is progressing.

8718_1235234679164_1178118408_30740637_6598656_n.jpg

anyone think that adding some citrus zest, or maybe grains of paradise (or both!) to this would be worthwhile?
also, i've got a white labs trappist ale yeast in the fridge... will this work out as the sacc pitch for this style?
lastly, as far as repitching on the cake with another batch (since the grain bill is so inexpensive... pipeline expansion on the cheap!) will it work well? what differences can be expected? should I pitch new lacto then plan to rack onto the cake from the first batch to account for the growth rate of the sacc? or is there enough lacto left in the cake to do the job? so many questions!!!

This beer took third place in 17A at the HBT 2009 comp. I can't take credit since it totally isn't my recipe so I linked here and am bumping the thread. :tank:

It actually took 3rd place twice, since Sacc and I tied for that spot. I only pitched bugs, but other than that it's FA's recipe.

so i typed in the name of this one into a german to english translator and it gave me "track dog tongue." anyone care to shed some light on the translation?

This just sky rocketed to the top of my "To Brew" list. I already ordered the yeast and lacto for it.

This just sky rocketed to the top of my "To Brew" list. I already ordered the yeast and lacto for it.

me too, right after the 10-10-10. Come to think of it, this will make 3 of Flyangler's recipes in a row. I brewed his smoked porter last weekend

Back