Listen to your body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
It will tell you how to eat right.

We've all heard this schlock and if it was true would we have 200 million obese people in the USA?

My body said: Nachos for breakfast.

What odd things has your body told you to eat for breakfast?

nachos: complex carbohydrates (corn), protein (refried beans), dairy (shredded cheese), veggies (salsa)

Peeled Poblanos with pulled pork and cream cheese in one, and chili and cheddar in the other.

I kind of believe there is some truth to that but no proof but haven't researched it yet either. But I do believe you body learns that certain foods you eat fulfill certain requirements and when your body is low on certain things your brain sends out a craving for that food. Every once in a while I have an extreme craving for milk. Could my body need calcium? Who knows, just a crazy thought of mine.

When I was in JHS I used to eat peas mixed with mashed potatoes and butter for breakfast before school.

Yah, I'd agree there is some small validity. I've always craved red meat and it turns out my body has trouble absorbing iron from any other source.

cold bologna straight out of the pack this morning... I believe the craving of non-food items (like bologna) is called pica.

I honestly believe my body is telling me when I need certain things. Like if we eat a lot of chicken and other meat at home after a couple weeks or so I'll really be jonesing for a steak.

I get odd cravings sometimes. Once I had this really strong urge for Pizza Pockets. I guess my transfats levels were getting low.

My wifes sometimes says she really is enjoying those green beans, so her body must need the stuff that's in them. So I say, my body is telling me I need more donuts and beer! That's when I get the bad look. You know the one.

I usually have cravings for steak (when my iron is low) and broccoli (when I haven't had anything green in forever). Oh, and IPA. My body must know that I haven't been fulfilling my RDA of hops.

Well, your body can also be a lush and pleasure whore and crave the things that bring pleasure to it but I do somewhat believe it can force cravings for things it needs to survive.

After I get done with an especially hard workout my body is absolutely jonesing for doritos, or fritos, or any sort of salty food with carbs and a higher fat content to replace the energy I just expended. The next thing I usually crave, somewhat later is a raw protein source, like lunch meat or maybe a protein drink.

I listen to my body, and it's usually right. Still, listening to your body and listening to your child-like taste buds are too different things, and therein lies the art of it.

cold bologna straight out of the pack this morning... I believe the craving of non-food items (like bologna) is called pica.

Correct! :ban: It is called pica and can be a diagnosable mental disorder.:(

Or just a cultural phenomenon...like the old story about folks in Georgia eating red clay. Mineral deficiency?

But why would the body drive a person to crave eating ice when they are anemic? It's a known medical fact that this occurs. Weird.

Correct! :ban: It is called pica and can be a diagnosable mental disorder.:(

Or just a cultural phenomenon...like the old story about folks in Georgia eating red clay. Mineral deficiency?

But why would the body drive a person to crave eating ice when they are anemic? It's a known medical fact that this occurs. Weird.

I actually saw a show about that, road crews were concerned about the road collapsing due to people taking the clay away to eat and these were adults, not kids making clay pies. Weird!

Back