Australian Ale Yeast Substitute - WLP009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookshc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has a good substitute for WLP009 Australian Ale Yeast.

Looking for a yeast that maxes out the "bread-iness" of the malt bill. Using lots of maris otter, some biscuit malt, and looking to fully enhance those without any of the typical English Ale fruitiness that's inherent with most English strains.

I'm trying to brew this beer next weekend, and since The Aussie ale yeast isn't available til March, I'm turning to the ever-faithful HBT crew to help me out.

What up?? :mug:

Can you get any cooper's sparkling ale or any other of the cooper's beers? If so get a couple 6 packs and harvest the yeast, just like you would any other starter. Cooper's Brewery, knowing that a lot of beer drinkers in Australia homebrew, and live in quite rural areas have always emphasized the fact that homebrewers can and should harvest the yeast. I've read that it is actually superior to the cooper's dry yeast you can buy. But buying dry cooper's IS always an option. It is afterall, Australian Ale yeast. We think of it as crap, but in reality cooper's brewery IS very homebrewer friendly. And it's actually decent yeast, ESPECIALLY when making australian beers.

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, I haven't seen Coopers around.

Is the dry yeast worth using? I've always associated it with low grade kit beer, but maybe that's a misconception...

Cheers!

I know that during the seventies Coopers were the first here in Australia to supply ingredients to the homebrew market. Wether or not their products were any good or not would be up to somebody else to judge because I have no experience with it. My grandfather used to have beer bombs exploding under our floor, waking us kids with a scream regularly. Gravity readings would have been witchcraft back then.
What I do know from experience is the quality of what they have produced in the way of beer. They are the only brewery in Australia still owned by descendants of the original owners. No mean feat in the modern beer market in Australia.

This is the beer for you to look for so youcan harvest the yeast...

image-3552895292.jpg

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, I haven't seen Coopers around.

Is the dry yeast worth using? I've always associated it with low grade kit beer, but maybe that's a misconception...

Cheers!

It's a misconception. Just like people snub MR Beer kits. The ingredients are no better or worse than any other. It always depends on the age of the ingredients, how they were stored MOST IMPORTANTLY, the skill of the brewer using it. A lot of new brewers make bad beer because they're new to making beer, and kit instructions suck. SO rather than just acknowleging that MAYBE because they're new and haven't learned all the tricks to making great beer with ANY ingredients, they just assume the stuff they used is bad.....

Sorry to wake an old thread but I'm looking for the best dry yeast substitute for Coopers pale ale yeast.

Meeting a very old friend of mine in September for the first time since I started to brew and asked him what beer he would like me to clone for or meeting.
He requested a Coopers Pale ale. Wouldn't be my first choice but I want to give it my best shot with the ingredients I have available.

Pride of Ringwood will be replaced with Cluster.
I guess Nottingham is the nearest to the yeast?
US-05, S-04 and Danstar Bry-97 are the other options.

Might just go for the US-05 as it's about 68F ambient where I want to brew which is a bit on the warm side for Notti.

Plan is to make a split batch with half of it as close as possible to the original and the other half will be dry hopped with Galaxy - keeping with the Aussie theme- just to show him how much better a dry-hopped beer can taste :D

Latest posts

Back