Taking FG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eojnnamleppak

Reaction score
Hey! I am on the 14th day of fermentation. I am brewing my first batch of American Amber (Brewers Best kit). The beer has been stored around 66 degrees for two weeks. My OG reading was 1.045. Just took my FG reading, it's 1.003. It says it should be around 1.012-1.015.

Is this normal? When should I bottle it up?

Thanks!

Wow, that's not the usual problem. Most people have their fermentation stick at around 1.020. Clearly, your yeasties went into overdrive. I'd give it another week, let the yeast clean up after themselves, then bottle. Your beer may seem thin and dry, but nothing you can do about that until next batch. Did you do anything different? Use a bunch of table sugar, or the like?

You really shouldn't drink it. That is way abnormal. Ship it to me and I will dispose of it.

+1, Im doing research and a thesis on overactive yeast during fermentation and Id love to see yours. (trollolol)

did you put to much water in before pitching? that would cause your FG to be low like that, if not, pm me your info so we can arrange shipment.

Check you hydrometer out in water. It should read 1.000. It is possible the paper inside has slipped, giving bad readings. 1.003 sounds really low.

Ok thanks guys. I checked my hydrometer in water. It's reading about .096 so it's a little off. I re-checked my beer FG outside of the fermenter in the tube that my hydrometer came in. It now reads 1.008, not 1.003 what i originally thought. (i probably shouldnt try to read in my fermenter) So does anyone know what that makes my FG reading? Am I any closer to where I need to be??

Thanks again.

I just bottled my American Amber from Brewers Best. Your OG should have been 1.050 or a little above that. It sounds like you may have added too much water.

Your FG is the 1.008. Check it again to make sure. Mine ended up at 1.012 after 2 weeks in the FV. Yours is right on track with the difference in numbers but just a little lower on FG and OG.

I check mine in the tube that the hydrometer came in. Just use a sanitized coffee cup to scoop out of your FV. Make sure the hydrometer doesn't touch the sides and wait for any bubbles to dissipate on top before you read.

Ok thanks guys. I checked my hydrometer in water. It's reading about .096 so it's a little off. I re-checked my beer FG outside of the fermenter in the tube that my hydrometer came in. It now reads 1.008, not 1.003 what i originally thought. (i probably shouldnt try to read in my fermenter) So does anyone know what that makes my FG reading? Am I any closer to where I need to be??

Thanks again.

Sounds like your hydeometer is off by .004, so your 1.008 reading is really 1.012 which is right in the ballpark.

Sounds like your hydeometer is off by .004, so your 1.008 reading is really 1.012 which is right in the ballpark.

Ya, 1.012, right at the bottom of your range. :mug:
Like uniondr said, wait a couple days recheck the gravity and if it hasn't changed, it's done.

What was your wort temp when you took the FG reading?

About 72 degrees, higher than it should be, but I have been keeping it at about 66-67 degrees for two weeks

About 72 degrees, higher than it should be, but I have been keeping it at about 66-67 degrees for two weeks

Well, it's not so much higher than it should be, but your hydrometer reading does need to be adjusted since it's calibrated at 59 deg F. So just for your information, your specific gravity at that temp given your reading of 1.008 is actually 1.0094.

Back