Cherry-Milk-Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
This is my next challenge: A Sweet Cherry-Milk Stout. Maybe it won't jive together too well, but I'm thinking of trying it. Seems like somethine the ice cream truck would sell in Beerland if such a place exists.

Cherry Ice Cream Stout
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.071 Plato: 17.25
Anticipated SRM: 35.7
Anticipated IBU: 36.5
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
66.7 6.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Light England 1.055 5
11.1 1.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.005 475
11.1 1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.005 2
5.6 0.50 lbs. CaraPilsner France 1.003 10
5.6 0.50 lbs. Milk Sugar Generic 1.003 0
Exract represented as SG.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.00 36.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP013 London Ale

This will be my most complex recipe yet, so I'm excited about it. I have no experience with "Milk Sugar". Is it the same as lactose? Is .5 lbs a lot?
I picked the English yeast instead of the Irish b/c I wanted a more malty emphasis. Please feel free to pick my recipe apart and make comments/suggestions!

I made a cherry milk stout last fall and I will do it again this fall/winter although I will change it up a bit. I used .5 lb lactose as well. I do not think that it is too much. Lactose is not fermentable and only adds to the mouthfeel.

Last year I added 2 lbs frozen cherries five minutes before flameout and let them sit in the primary fermenter for a week. When I racked it to secondary I made some chocolate cherry tarts with them.

This year I will add the cherries to the secondary, and I will probably modify the recipe slightly.

- magno

I would like to personally say, do not keep the cherries. Danny made me keep them and make cherry tarts out of them and they were SICK. I even used Whole Foods chocolate and it was still very disgusting. But in his attempt to be right, that they were indeed delicious, he ate almost all of them (and then turned a slight shade of green and then violet).

EDIT: We've been infiltrated... And I made those tarts (I helped at least).

david_42 said:
lactose = milk sugar

I see no cherries?

D'oh!

Was in a rush earlier. I was going to use the cherry additive added at bottling time.

Do I add lactose to the boil (if so how long), secondary, or at bottling?

Add the lactose to the boil any time. Cherry additive??? A couple pounds of tart cherries or even cherry pie filling in the secondary would probably give you better flavor.

david_42 said:
Add the lactose to the boil any time. Cherry additive??? A couple pounds of tart cherries or even cherry pie filling in the secondary would probably give you better flavor.

Ok thanks! I was thinking of using that Oregon cherry stuff, anyway.

magno's GF said:
I would like to personally say, do not keep the cherries. Danny made me keep them and make cherry tarts out of them and they were SICK. I even used Whole Foods chocolate and it was still very disgusting. But in his attempt to be right, that they were indeed delicious, he ate almost all of them (and then turned a slight shade of green and then violet).
HAHAHA!!
That's the funniest post ever! :D:D

I also like that magno's original post included the line "I made some chocolate cherry tarts with them"...

Back