Partial boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awiens

Reaction score
Is it imperative to start with a specific amount of water to make wort? I ask because I have a recipe with conflicting amounts - one says 2 gallons, the other 2 1/2. As long as the hydrometer reading is on at fermentation does it matter? Planning on resolving this soon by getting a nine gallon brew pot. Thanks all! Happy brewing!

I'm fairly new so no expert.... But from what I've read and learned I don't think it will hurt. The larger the boil volume the less darkening of the wort which will result in a lighter more true to color beer and you also get better hop utilization with larger boils.

But either way you will make beer!

Good luck and happy brewing!

awiens said:
Is it imperative to start with a specific amount of water to make wort? I ask because I have a recipe with conflicting amounts - one says 2 gallons, the other 2 1/2. As long as the hydrometer reading is on at fermentation does it matter? Planning on resolving this soon by getting a nine gallon brew pot. Thanks all! Happy brewing!

Well my brews were darkening. Upgraded to a 9 gal pot, boil 6 gal, I add 1/2 lb of LME/DME per gal of water, then my hops additions, then the rest of the LME/DME at flame out. Now my coloring is spot on for all my brews.

You can get the 9 gal pot on overstock.com for $55. Oh and make sure you have a burner with enough BTU 55000-60000 Great deal.

Hope that helps ya.

It's not the partial boi that darkens the beer,it's putting allthe extract in at the beginning. Late extract additions have worked well for me to keep colors lighter. Not to mention,reduce or eliminate mailard reactions tha produce that twang. Even in my partial mash partial boil biab ales it works fine.

I've not heard of splitting the malt extract additions. I always follow the LHBS recipes I get. I'm using 5 lbs of dark DME for my chocolate stout next. Any suggestions?

Try adding 2lbs of the DME to the partial boil of 3G. Do your hop additions,then add the rest at flame out. Steep covered for at least a few minutes to pasteurize. It happens at about 162F,& the boiled wort is still plenty hot enough to do it.

Thank you. What do you mean by "Steep covered to pasteurize at flame out?" I know what steeping is in regards to specialty grains but that's it. Also, flame out I assume means the time you stop the boil. I can add DME then? It doesn't compromise the wort and make it prone to infection since its out of the boil? Thanks again - I've only been brewing a few months so I still have lots of questions!

You don't need to boil to stop infections in this regard. Pasteurization kills the nasties you need to worry about at about 162F. The boiling hot liquid at flame out is still plenty hot enough to dissolve DME/LME.
you cofer it to keep nasties out while you let it "steep" to pasteurize for a few minutes. Steeping in this sense is just letting it sit hot to pasteurize.

Back