Did my first Canning tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
I think things turned out alright!

8095602300_8b3361dcd0_b.jpg

8095601246_9ce0621cb6_b.jpg

8095595905_b96c8ac382_b.jpg

I'm having an issue with the cans "popping" (sealing?) I'm at 1400 feet elevation. I boiled for half an hour and none of the cans sealed. I honestly don't know what was wrong.

Nice job!! We just canned some soups yesterday, mushroom and butternut squash. I have no advice on the "popping", but it wouldn't surprise me if you needed to boil longer due to the elevation. I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about can better help you there.

If there is no airspace, they won't seal. The sealing happens when the hot gases in the headspace contract and cause negative pressure inside the jar compared to outside. If there is no headspace, there are not hot gases to cool and contract.

If there is no airspace, they won't seal. The sealing happens when the hot gases in the headspace contract and cause negative pressure inside the jar compared to outside. If there is no headspace, there are not hot gases to cool and contract.

Crap. There is NO headspace. I topped off each jar and sealed and then put into the boiler.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Nice job!! We just canned some soups yesterday, mushroom and butternut squash. I have no advice on the "popping", but it wouldn't surprise me if you needed to boil longer due to the elevation. I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about can better help you there.

Cool! Never ever even considered canning soup! Does it need to be pressure canned?

Cool! Never ever even considered canning soup! Does it need to be pressure canned?
Yes if it is a low acid food.
Unlike beer canning can have things in it that can make you sick and even cause death (botulism).

Get a Ball or Kerr canning book, they have alot of information in them, and recipes too

Question. What if I just stored these non-sealed jars in the fridge? I plan on consuming the pickled veggies within a month or so so I don't mind storing in the fridge and eating them sooner. I'm not canning to store...just canning to pickle and then eatASAP.

300RUM said:
Yes if it is a low acid food.
Unlike beer canning can have things in it that can make you sick and even cause death (botulism).

Get a Ball or Kerr canning book, they have alot of information in them, and recipes too

I am aware of the risks, just not sure at which point something is considered "low acid". We can about 60 cases each year of tomato sauce, hot sauce, salsa and preserves so I am we'll familiar with the process, but I've never done anything outside of that.

Question. What if I just stored these non-sealed jars in the fridge? I plan on consuming the pickled veggies within a month or so so I don't mind storing in the fridge and eating them sooner. I'm not canning to store...just canning to pickle and then eatASAP.
You would be fine then. Most bacteria need the temp to be between 40 and 140 for them to grow.

You would be fine then. Most bacteria need the temp to be between 40 and 140 for them to grow.

Thanks! I am a Pickled cucumber / Okra addict! So, these really are just offsetting the regular grocery store purchase. Thanks for the info. I'll keep these in the fridge and crack them open within 4 weeks and eat them.

I am aware of the risks, just not sure at which point something is considered "low acid". We can about 60 cases each year of tomato sauce, hot sauce, salsa and preserves so I am we'll familiar with the process, but I've never done anything outside of that.

I'm can't remember I want to say anything above 4 ph, but don't quote me.

We do tomatoes in water bath but green beans and corn go in the pressure cooker.

I had a friend tell me today that he canned in the oven, at 250 degrees f for an hour. I've never heard of anyone doing that, and for some reason it doesn't seem like a good idea but I can describe or prove why. If it was a good plan everyone would be doing it, because you could pack the oven over doing a half dozen quarts at a time.

I had a friend tell me today that he canned in the oven, at 250 degrees f for an hour. I've never heard of anyone doing that, and for some reason it doesn't seem like a good idea but I can describe or prove why. If it was a good plan everyone would be doing it, because you could pack the oven over doing a half dozen quarts at a time.

Does this friend have a special part for his car that he claims gets him 100 mpg, too?

Seriously, having had to sit through several awesome classes on commercial canning for our state licensed domestic kitchen, oven canning is not a good idea. How would you know if the oven temp was off or your jars weren't heated properly? In a water bath, it's boiling or it's not, end of story. Recipes will always tell you how long to boil the jars, how would you know how long to leave in the oven?

What exactly did he can? I have never heard of anyone canning in an oven. Making applebutter yes but not canning.

(delayed reaction) I have no fvcking clue. I don't think so......., but my wife does all that soup stuff, so I may be mud here..... She puts the soup in hot, boiling/simmering straight from the pot, closes and puts the jars in boiling water like you would with pickle jars. When they cool, they pop. After that, I get homemade soup in my lunches. If you wanna know details, PM me and I'll have her explain the details to me. :eek:

Back