Fail.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kklowell

Reaction score
Well, my first attempt at making my PWM resulted in releasing the magic smoke from the IC. We all know that once the smoke is out it's all over so it'll be off to RS from another one tomorrow for attempt number two.

That's all part of the experience. I never buy just one. There are too many things to go wrong. Last time I had my power supply set too high it worked great at 12V, not so good at 20.

It's a TLC555. Going to get a different one this time, but still a 555. Do you have a link to the schematic you used? Maybe I would try that route.

Yep...but I was distracted at that moment by the uh, uh, marching band...yeah, that's it, marching band...passing through the room at just that moment and didn't catch all the smoke. I thought I might have, but my wife was across the room and mentioned she could smell smoke, so I knew some had escaped.
This incident, by the way, is just further proof that it is not some invisible mystical electron that makes electronic things work, but rather plain old ordinary smoke. I'm surprised more people don't know this, after all, it is so easily proved. Let the smoke out...it doesn't work anymore.

Yep...but I was distracted at that moment by the uh, uh, marching band...yeah, that's it, marching band...passing through the room at just that moment and didn't catch all the smoke. I thought I might have, but my wife was across the room and mentioned she could smell smoke, so I knew some had escaped.
This incident, by the way, is just further proof that it is not some invisible mystical electron that makes electronic things work, but rather plain old ordinary smoke. I'm surprised more people don't know this, after all, it is so easily proved. Let the smoke out...it doesn't work anymore.

It's truly amazing what I learn here.

Wow that is pretty impressive 555 are pretty tough ICs. I'm guessing that you were trying to drive a SSR or relay directly from the 555. If you don't have a driver transistor and you try to drive a bigger load it could be thought of trying to pull a freight train with a moped, AKA smoke comes out of Moped.

Clem

Well, my first attempt at making my PWM resulted in releasing the magic smoke from the IC. We all know that once the smoke is out it's all over so it'll be off to RS from another one tomorrow for attempt number two.

Been there done that, LOL (at recalling my smoke, not laughing at you). Good luck!
:)

AS an EE i can tell you your problem is you forgot the mirror to reflect the smoke back into the IC. had you had that none of your smoke would have escaped!

Back