DIY stir plate keeps throwing stir bar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawjr

Reaction score
My fan spins too fast so it throws the bar, in order to simplify things I'd like to skip adding in a fan speed dial. I'm using a 9 volt fan with a 9 volt power supply, question is, can I use a lower voltage power supply, say 4 or 5 volts and it still work? Will it then spin at half the speed and not throw the bar?

I believe most fans have a minimal voltage required to get it spinning and I'm not sure if 4-5V will cut the mustard. Are you able to adjust the distance of the fan from the stir plate surface? I lowered my fan away from the stir plate because it would throw the bar when I first turned it on.

Well then the magnet just wont grab the bar, i was just wanting to slow down the fan speed without a potentiometer. I just need to know i'm not going to start any fires by hooking up a mismatched voltage.

Mine works great with a 5V cell phone cord. I have a couple stir bars and the size of the bar makes a big difference as does the material/distance between your magnet and your bar.

I've made 3 stir plates with 5V cords and have gotten them all to work reliably with various stir bars.

Well then the magnet just wont grab the bar, i was just wanting to slow down the fan speed without a potentiometer. I just need to know i'm not going to start any fires by hooking up a mismatched voltage.

You won't start fires with a mismatched voltage, try a smaller supply and see how it works. I have a 0 to 12 v regulator and my 12v 80mm case fan starts spinning at around 3-4v.

You can use a lower voltage power supply I don't know how low, like the OP said he uses a 5v supply. Or just put in a fan control of some sort will do the same

The lower the voltage, the slower the fan speed right? Thats basically what a potentiometer would do right? Lower the amount of current running to the fan?

My stirplates use 5v power supplies with 12v computer fans. It's fine.

And yeah it won't spin as fast.

I also broke the blades off my fans, I thought it wouldn't be good to have that much air moving around inside the box. Prolly doesn't matter tho.

I found that when I built my stir plate and was having this problem it wasn't my voltage I had tried anywhere from 3.9 - 12 vdc with a potentiometer. I then thought get my magnets on the fan closer to flask to help make stronger field no work either. Then I lowered my magnets away from the flask in my stir plate and found the sweet spot no more throwing the bar. Now I have 5 vdc power and can crank full speed if need be and not throw the bar. You may start by getting your flask or jar with water and stir bar and set some books or something of different heights on each side of flask to create a different height to internal magnets in your plate and try and find that sweet spot. Hope this helps

Bought one from stir starter that kept throwing the bar as well. I opened it up and added more magnets I picked up from ace. Works fine now

Make sure it's properly centered first and foremost.

Try different heights using shim stock to find the perfect distance. I use two pieces of rubberized non slip stuff used for drawers and whatnot.

Speed may still be a factor, so try using various voltages. Maybe a wall wort with a selectable switch? Most cell phone chargers are 3V, 5V, 6V, etc. Maybe try different ones.

It doesn't take a massive vortex to exchange enough oxygen for the yeast. The wort should be saturated to start anyway. Just keep the yeast in suspension. Once the yeast get going, there will be a lot of positive pressure pushing outward anyway.

Back