Preparing for 2nd Batch - Wit Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliKOng

Reaction score
I'm preparing a recipe for what will be my second brew attempt (English IPA in secondary now) - a Wit. I'm using Papazian's Grand Cru Clone as a starting point, but want to personalize it a little bit and keep it simple.

Here's what I'm putting in so far:

5 lbs Extra-Light DME (how different is this from Belgian Pils? Does anyone know if extra-light is made from wheat?)
2 lbs Light Honey (not sure on type yet)
1 oz Hallertauer - Boiling
1/2 oz Hallertauer - Flavor
1/2 oz Hallertauer - Aroma
1 1/2 oz fresh crushed whole coriander seed
1/4 - 1/2 oz dried curacao orange peel
Microplaned zest of two tangerines, or one very sweet orange (my addition)
Whitelabs Belgian Wit Yeast
3/4 c. corn sugar

I'm thinking of doing a simple infusion of grains pre-boil of:
malted wheat or
unmalted wheat
rolled oats

Suggestions on any of this appreciated. But trying to keep it simple for now!

Constructive critique: Your main ingredient is ExL DME not wheat.

A German Weiss ("white") is usually an extra light wheat beer with 55% wheat/45% barley.

In Belgium, a German Hefe Weizen recipe transforms into a Wit (also "white") with the addition of the orange, coriander and a Belgium Wit yeast. For the sake of a debate that may surely come, I will agree that there are other differences between the two, but I am only listing the most common ones.

Your recipe only resembles a Wit because of the orange, coriander and Wit yeast. You need more wheat malt and less ExL DME in it.

The Rodenbach Grand Cru recipe in Clone Brews also contains chocolate malt, lactose and a Lambic yeast. Yours does not.

I'm not saying your beer will not taste good. I'm certain it will. :D

As a matter of fact your recipe sounds good. I may brew it myself. :D
It sounds like it would make a good spring brew.

Thanks for the info!

Papazian's recipe is a Hoegaarden Grand Cru clone. Sorry, should of mentioned that. I'm definitely shooting for a light-colored Wit beer but with more alcohol than your everday variety. I read the addition of 2lbs of honey will increase the alcohol by 2% in a 5 gallon batch.

I am wondering why Papazian called for Extra-Light DME versus wheat extract or a wheat/barley mix. What will be the difference in color & flavor?

Just switched my online HBS order to include 5# of Muntons Wheat DME (55% Barley/45% wheat) instead of the Extra-Light. Want to keep this semi-authentic so thanks for that.

caliKOng said:
Papazian's recipe is a Hoegaarden Grand Cru clone. Sorry, should of mentioned that. I'm definitely shooting for a light-colored Wit beer but with more alcohol than your everday variety. I read the addition of 2lbs of honey will increase the alcohol by 2% in a 5 gallon batch.

I am wondering why Papazian called for Extra-Light DME versus wheat extract or a wheat/barley mix. What will be the difference in color & flavor?

I used wheat extract in my Hoe clone and ended up with a brown beer. I would definitely go with a much lighter DME bill. Perhaps a 50/50 wheat and Extra Light DME?

I would recommend a "late brew". I've done several of these successfully and have ended up with a lighter brew.

Basically, you brew as normal if you are using grains except after 45 mins into the boil you add the rest of your DME malts. This keeps the boil from carmelizing (darkening) the malt and ultimately the brew.

If you are uncertain of this technique do a Google search on "late brew".

Also, I recommend you try not to make BIG beers (with a lot of alcohol) at this stage. You should be learning how to make good beers. :D

Too many big beers do not taste good with the extra alcohol. And you still have to get it past your nose and taste buds.

Haha. I've been a heavy beer fan for 5 or 6 years now. I love beers like Allagash, Ayinger, Fin du Monde, Kwak, etc. Not gonna shy away from the high alcohol! They're my favorite style. Papazian included the honey in his recipe - not my idea. (Besides, high alcohol content keeps my grubbin' ass roommate away from my homebrew - he can't handle it!)

Hmmm...so I swapped the Extra-Light in my order for Muntons Wheat (55/45). Maybe a combination, as Cheesefood suggested, would be better?

Hoegaarden Grand Cru is not as light as regular Hoegaarden, so maybe I'll get by with just the Wheat (55/45)? I just don't want it to be dark brown. On the lighter side would be ideal.

I like the late brew idea but I'm not prepared to do all grains yet.

caliKOng said:
Haha. I've been a heavy beer fan for 5 or 6 years now. I love beers like Allagash, Ayinger, Fin du Monde, Kwak, etc. Not gonna shy away from the high alcohol! They're my favorite style. Papazian included the honey in his recipe - not my idea. (Besides, high alcohol content keeps my grubbin' ass roommate away from my homebrew - he can't handle it!)

Hmmm...so I swapped the Extra-Light in my order for Muntons Wheat (55/45). Maybe a combination, as Cheesefood suggested, would be better?

Hoegaarden Grand Cru is not as light as regular Hoegaarden, so maybe I'll get by with just the Wheat (55/45)? I just don't want it to be dark brown. On the lighter side would be ideal.

I like the late brew idea but I'm not prepared to do all grains yet.

OK. I didn't know you liked heavy brews. Go for it then. :D

Go for the combination of wheat and ExLight DME, or are you using liquid?

You can't do a late brew with all grains. It's sacraligious! And bad for the brew.

You do a late brew with DME. Just use 1-2 lbs of the ExL in 1.5 gals of water for the full 60 mins and add the rest of the malt when you add the Irish Moss at 45 mins.

Top off your primary with the remaining water to 5 gals.

Back