SNPA w/ Golden Promise ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieactuary

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a Sierra Nevada-type pale ale this weekend, but I'm going to be using Golden Promise (since I've got 55 lbs of it) instead of 2-row.

Any tips on adjustments due to using Golden Promise?

The recipe will be something like:

5 Gallon Batch

10 lbs - Golden Promise
1 lb - C60

0.75oz Columbus @ 60mins (b/c that's what I have)
0.75oz Cascade @15mins
0.75oz Cascade @0mins
0.75oz Cascade Dry-Hop

Safale US-05

Mash @154F
Ferment @68F

I'd tone the c60 down a touch. I use Golden Promise quite a bit and it tends to give a perceived sweetness almost honey like character to my beers.

I need to try some GP, I've heard good things on the Jamil Show. My first attempt at an IPA was a little less than I hoped for. Need a bit more malt character and a different hop (not Warrior, at least limit it to 60 min)

Thanks Yooper.

Which IPA is your favorite?

Surly Furious. Best IPA ever!

I have a clone-ish recipe posted somewhere. I know that NorthernBrewer.com has THE clone recipe as helped along by the company.

My "inside" knowledge just comes from having a few beers with Omar Ansari and interrogating him, and some help here on the forum. He gave "yes" and "no" answers but I think it's a good clone!

Edit- here's my clone-ish recipe, as I declared it not cloned exactly as there was a floral note present in the aroma in Surly that was not present in my clone. Otherwise it was very, very close:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/surly-furious-clone-202104/

Back