What is your favorite commerical beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael_Currie

Reaction score
I really enjoy Sam Adam's Double Bock, a lot don't but I really enjoy it. They have a Triple Bock, it's great as well but a very different taste.

Commercial Beer: Pabst Blue Ribbon
Microbeer: Hazed & Infused (Rockies Brewing Company)

Sam Adam's Octoberfest, Magic Hat #9 (which is probably going to be my next batch), and Blue Moon.....of course, knockin' back a 40 of St. Ides every now and then is fun too.....heheheh :D

Sam Adams is great, the Boston Lager and Winter Lager. I love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Rolling Rock is a great cheap beer. Just discovered Bert Grant's brewery, and their stuff is good, too.

Sam adams octoberfest is good .. I also like some of the local bocks that are made in the same state as i live..

Newcastle Brown Ale. Now that's a real tasty tasty beer. I'm more into the porters and stouts though then the light ales.

2nd place has to go to Downtown Brown from the Lost Coast brewing company. They have an awesome label for thier beer and its mighty tasty

I can't even answer this one...too many great ones.

But Lost Coast is just down the road from me. They make great beer and they definitely have great labels.

Downtown Brown is great. A couple of their other great ones are Great White (Belgian Wit) and Indica(IPA).

They always have "seconds" at the brewery/pub, which are cases that are the first ones through the bottling line, or have crooked labels or whatever. They sell them for $20 a case. Pretty good deal for some world-class beer.

Stop through if you're ever in Eureka! :D

Janx

tipsymonkey said:
Newcastle Brown Ale. Now that's a real tasty tasty beer. I'm more into the porters and stouts though then the light ales.

2nd place has to go to Downtown Brown from the Lost Coast brewing company. They have an awesome label for thier beer and its mighty tasty

I love Newcastle. Its probably my favorite beer from the tap. But from the bottle its like a completely different beer.

My favorite is Leienkugel's Creamy Dark. Great, great beer. I found a clone recipe for it but I don't have sufficient lagering temps here in Virginia. I'll have to wait until I get a dedicated beer fridge I guess. If I could clone that I'd be one happy camper.

orrelse said:
I love Newcastle. Its probably my favorite beer from the tap. But from the bottle its like a completely different beer.

My favorite is Leienkugel's Creamy Dark. Great, great beer. I found a clone recipe for it but I don't have sufficient lagering temps here in Virginia. I'll have to wait until I get a dedicated beer fridge I guess. If I could clone that I'd be one happy camper.

Sam adams, any sam adams, except they have a wheat beer, cant remember the name I dont care of it much

Dark_Ale said:
Sam adams, any sam adams, except they have a wheat beer, cant remember the name I dont care of it much

They actually brew 2 wheat beers now...Cherry Wheat (which tastes like cherry-topped Triscuits) and Hefeweizen, which is REALLY great on a hot summer's day....

NUCC98 said:
They actually brew 2 wheat beers now...Cherry Wheat (which tastes like cherry-topped Triscuits) and Hefeweizen, which is REALLY great on a hot summer's day....

Its kinda hard to find around here, everyonce in a while I can find something differant, I usually have to drive into houston, to buy good beer.......What a bummer.

anything that's cold and free. especially free, then it don't even have to be cold. ;)

they all taste about the same to me. enjoy bass and the gueiness before they moved their north american operations to canada, now it has lost something while maintaining an outrageous price. for the cheap cheap you cannot beat cold miller high life in that sexy champagne style bottle, especially in the summer mowing the lawn, sitting on the porch, painting the house, or just drinking beer.

t1master said:
anything that's cold and free. especially free, then it don't even have to be cold. ;)

they all taste about the same to me. enjoy bass and the gueiness before they moved their north american operations to canada, now it has lost something while maintaining an outrageous price. for the cheap cheap you cannot beat cold miller high life in that sexy champagne style bottle, especially in the summer mowing the lawn, sitting on the porch, painting the house, or just drinking beer.

Heh...Canada may have our Guinness...but they can never take...our High Life...

Dark_Ale said:

I tried the Sam Adams Black Lager this past weekend and I have to say it was pretty good. I was PO'd because they replaced my favorite Sam Adams brew, Cream Stout, with this new Black Lager. Loved that Cream Stout though...... :(

A favorite of mine is Sprecher Abbey Triple (Beligian Ale) although I can't get Sprecher in AZ other than their soda. Got to be in midwest/milwaukee to get it! Commercial yes but also regional.

I would have to say Yeungling is my favorite, manly for the price + taste it can’t be beat. But I changed to Grolsch when I started my adventures in to brewing so I could save the bottles.

Anyone ever been to Dusselldorf in Germany. In the Altstadt (old part of town) Dusselldorf Altbier is served and it is my favourite beer of all time. This might have something to do with having a holiday in Dusselldorf which was really cool...but there you go.

There are some old traditional pubs there that brew it on premises and it is the only beer you can buy at their pub. Altbier or apple juice!!

Since y'all are in the right neck of the woods, have you had Stoudt's? Their beer is awesome. I always get it when I'm visiting the in-laws in PA. The ESB is great!

Unless you live in the Chicago area, you won’t be familiar with Two Brothers Brewing in Warrenville, Illinois (http://www.twobrosbrew.com/). But their French Country Ale and Imperial Stout are just outstanding - especially the FCA on tap! And, they have a homebrew shop in the same building as the brewery called The Brewer's Coop (http://www.thebrewerscoop.com/), which is where I buy all my supplies. How cool is that?!

Stoudt's is very good. I can get it here at some of the better liquor stores. And, IIRC, it is one of the few woman-owned micros.

Out of town brews that I can’t get where I live: I love Bridgeport Brewing (http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/home.html) in Oregon, Boulevard Brewing in KC (http://www.blvdbeer.com/) and St. Arnold (http://www.saintarnold.com/) when I visit my parents in Houston!

Hmm the top 3 for me would be

Stella Artois
Becks Octoberfest
Any of my homebrews! :D

and sorry to say but for caming and 12 hour partys Coors :eek: .

Winter Palace Wee Heavy Scotch Ale is an enjoyable brew. Potent with an after flavor that leaves one wanting more. Dam Ale is also excellent. Paper City Brewery is in Holyoke, MA. It is distibuted locally. They may have a web cite.

Tell ya what, I'm drinking Anchor Steam for the second time and it may become a favorite...great taste and amazing smoothness....Mmmm-Mmmm!

rightwingnut said:
Tell ya what, I'm drinking Anchor Steam for the second time and it may become a favorite...great taste and amazing smoothness....Mmmm-Mmmm!

I gotta agree...I recently had it for the first time and REALLY enjoyed it....We have a store here called the "World Market" where they sell individual bottles of different styles, that's where i first tried Anchor Steam....so the next week I went back and got an Anchor Liberty, and that was even better than the Steam. This weekend I'm going to try the Anchor Porter. So far I'm really liking this steam beer concept....

So many styles!

Weienstephaner Hefeweizen...the benchmark hefe, IMO. Haven't been able to find it around here in quite a while.

I go through quite a bit of Hoegaarden, Sammy Smith porter, and Sierra Nevada Pale ale, depending on my mood.

I guess those qualify as commercial. I've gotten damned picky since I've gotten into brewing. The only big macro I'll pay for now is Yuengling. I used to think Hurricane was the business considering the price, then one day I poured it into a glass and let the odor escape....krikey!

sause said:
I have to go with Sprecher Dopple Bock right now, it's a seasonal brew, I highly suggest it.
ERRR!!!! I miss Sprecher's brews.....Hopefully I can still find some of that when I'm up there in April.....
Staying in Milwaukee and catching a Brewers game. I'm psyched. The highlight will be bringing home a case or two of Leinies. Creamy Dark here I come!!!!!!!!

Janx said:
Since y'all are in the right neck of the woods, have you had Stoudt's? Their beer is awesome. I always get it when I'm visiting the in-laws in PA. The ESB is great!
I see Stoudt's every time I go to my local beer distributor, but I never expected it to be any good. Most of the "local" homebreweries aren't that great (Appalachian, Lancaster, Flying Fish, Victory). I will definitely try it next time...

As for a favorite, I don't have one in particular...
Any Sam Adams
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Anchor Steam Beer
Boddington's
Bass Ale

I spend about 20 minutes at the distributor every time I go, it's such a hard decision ;)

And of course, there's always the old standby of Yuengling. It flows from the taps around here, I live only 10 minutes away from the brewery.

ryser2k said:
As for a favorite, I don't have one in particular...
Any Sam Adams
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Anchor Steam Beer
Boddington's
Bass Ale

I spend about 20 minutes at the distributor every time I go, it's such a hard decision ;)

And of course, there's always the old standby of Yuengling. It flows from the taps around here, I live only 10 minutes away from the brewery.

Good taste, my man. Aside from Boddington's (which I've never tried), all of those are favorites of mine. Bass used to be the greatest thing in the world to me, Sam Adams is always good, Anchor's a new favorite, Sierra Nevada is liquid gold, and no matter what they may say, I'll always love Yeungling.

rightwingnut said:
Good taste, my man. Aside from Boddington's (which I've never tried), all of those are favorites of mine. Bass used to be the greatest thing in the world to me, Sam Adams is always good, Anchor's a new favorite, Sierra Nevada is liquid gold, and no matter what they may say, I'll always love Yeungling.

Boddingtons is interesting......it's a pale golden ale in a can w/ a nitro widget in it. So you end up w/ this crisp light golden ale w/ a Guinness head on it.......

The Guinness head is what is good about it, without that it would probably not be very impressive... in fact, I know it wouldn't be... I tried to brew a clone of Boddington's and bottle condition it, and it was nowhere near as good...

ryser2k said:
The Guinness head is what is good about it, without that it would probably not be very impressive... in fact, I know it wouldn't be... I tried to brew a clone of Boddington's and bottle condition it, and it was nowhere near as good...

Shiner Bock. It goes so damn good on a hot summer day after cutting the grass, or with some good ol' Texas BBQ!

If I had to pick 2, #2 would be Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone Brewing. If you've never had it, don't cheat yourself any longer! Try the Bastard.........if your worthy! (so the bottle says :D )

Cheers!
DeRoux'S Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
Shiner Bock. It goes so damn good on a hot summer day after cutting the grass, or with some good ol' Texas BBQ!

If I had to pick 2, #2 would be Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone Brewing. If you've never had it, don't cheat yourself any longer! Try the Bastard.........if your worthy! (so the bottle says :D )

Cheers!
DeRoux'S Broux

Just picked up a bottle. It's chilling in the fridge right now....yay for me!!! :D

Deuchar's IPA not surprisingly :cool:
Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted
Both of these are Scottish

Also...

Belgian: Maredsous, Chimay Blue, Brigand
French: Pelforth Brune
German: Schifferhoffer Weizen

Back