Pilsner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pike

Reaction score
Is a pilsner a lager or an Ale? The web site I found sells their Pilsner brew kit with Ale yeast. So it must be an ale?

A pilsner is a lager. Though you could use a clean neutral ale yeast fermented at low temp to make something pilsner like. I know sometimes people use a kolsch yeast to make a pilsner

Since lagering is somewhat difficult to do, especially without a dedicated freezer/fridge, a lot of beginner pilsner kits come with Ale Yeast...So it's not exactly true to style.

But like Bokonon said, you can ferment the ale yeast cool...and get close.

Right right I hear ya. I've been looking at hardware for Largering online. Temp control, ect. I want to try for sure. But for now I am looking for another e-z beer to brew, another ale. I brew the Amber Ale, True Brew kit, and it came out Awesome. I would like to brew a lighter ale this time, with some of the same tastes, ect.

You could mcgyver a way to do the pilsner in the low to mid 60's if you want.

here's what I'm doing....

Take one of these (with the lid off)
2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

The one I have can fit 2 carboys/buckets. I fill it about 1/3 with water, I stuck a small aquarium thermemeter with a suction cup on one of the sides touching the water (where I can look at it easily.) Then I put the fermenters in there and put a t-shirt over each of them with the ends sitting in the water to wick up the water. I have a bunch of 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and frozen (as well as some smaller water bottles) and I add them as needed to maintain a temp in the low 60's. You can also put a fan near it to blow air on the t-shirts....

Back