Fermenting Grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inner10

Reaction score
I realize it's a little late in the season but I called up my local grape wholesaler and they had 1 case of sangiovese grapes left so I ordered it and 3 grenache to be destemmed and crushed.

That night when I opened up my buckets the sangiovese was already foaming up it was fermenting so aggressively. I threw it all in the primary and added sulfites.

This morning it's got a somewhat active fermentation going on...so much so that I don't think adding yeast is a good idea.

Any suggestions?

I just did something very similar to you, bought some "late" white grapes and they were already fermenting when I got them - I personally added K-meta and left for a few days, it calmed down, and then kicked off again when I added the rest of the ingredients (including sugar - I am actually making ginger wine).

I pitched some extra yeast just in case, but you know what, that's how wine's been made for millenia, I seriously doubt anything will go wrong, it might even taste better for having naturally fermented. I am not a major expert though, so would be interested in hearing others' input.

The fork in the road for me is do I leave it with whatever yeast is working now...or do I pour in a starter of some killer yeast like kv1116.

I already dosed it with kmeta but I don't think it will stop this fermentation as it was pretty active!

Well I'm going to dump in some rc212 because that's what I have kicking around and we'll see what happens.

...unless Yooper or another seasoned pro has some insight ;)

Hydrate your selected yeast as follows to assure that the yeast multiplies, you'll want to make sure that your yeast population is strong in order to become the dominant yeast:

I hydrate my selected yeast by heating the water up to 110° and adding Go-ferm at the rate of 1.25 grams per gram of yeast, when the temp gets down to 105°, I add the yeast, I normally just sprinkle it on top of the hydration water (with the goferm) and gently mix it in.
Within 10 mins you'll see movement in the cup, the yeast is coming alive, and starting to multiply, I add an equal amount of the room temp must, this is a food for the yeast, it will help it to continue reproducing.

I hope that this helps.

Hydrate your selected yeast as follows to assure that the yeast multiplies, you'll want to make sure that your yeast population is strong in order to become the dominant yeast:

I hydrate my selected yeast by heating the water up to 110° and adding Go-ferm at the rate of 1.25 grams per gram of yeast, when the temp gets down to 105°, I add the yeast, I normally just sprinkle it on top of the hydration water (with the goferm) and gently mix it in.
Within 10 mins you'll see movement in the cup, the yeast is coming alive, and starting to multiply, I add an equal amount of the room temp must, this is a food for the yeast, it will help it to continue reproducing.

I hope that this helps.

Pretty much what I did but I have no idea which culture won as the previous fermentation was so active!

Oh well!

Latest posts

Back