Has anyone partygiled a belgian strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneandahalfshepherds

Reaction score
Has anyone partygiled a belgian strong? How about an old ale? Im looking to get more beer per brew session an my RIS/milk stout worked out awesome.

When my buddies and I get together on brew days we always partygyle! We took the second runs from a milk stout, an IPA, and a belgian tripel, and got a decent 5.5% dark ale. It wasn't necessarily to style but hey it's free beer and it's pretty good too. We also ran seconds on my graham cracker ale and an "amaretto sour" beer and made a dark Kentucky Common. We have done a few others and haven't tried them yet. They always turn out good even if not to style. The trick is just to start kind of early and not to drink too much on the first batch. If you expect it to take all day you wont be disappointed. A little planning goes a long way too. Take your second runs on a belgian strong and make a belgian pale or even an american pale ale and hop it up.

I have little kids and just looking to get more beer per brew session since brewing these days is getting tough. So if i can partygile and add an hour or two to my day for 5 extra gallons its a good deal...so long as i like strong beer!

also, keep about 3-5lbs of DME or LME on hand just in case you rock your efficiency on the first batch or just can't get the sugars you thought you would on the second run. That way you don't end up with a 1.5-2% beer that's not worth your time and effort! A refractometer is really nice to have for these too so you can take gravity readings at boiling and see how much you want to boil off to get to a certain ABV or whatever.

I have thought about doing that, especially when brewing a RIS but have been reluctant. How about the full recipe for the RIS/Milk Stout. Did you add anything to mash for second running?

We're getting revved-up to finally do our first partigyle... good point about having some extract on-hand... but one other option, it'd seem, would be to pull off some volume from the higher-gravity and swap in some of the lower-gravity to balance things out (once both extractions are complete)...

Good point though, to keep in mind, to monitor the gravities as you go... one can almost imagine, in fact that you could more or less move the outflow hose back and forth as needed to balance the mix realtime! LOL

Oh, FWIW - our batches will be an Imperial IPA and a fairly light Pale Ale... which is then gonna get hit with a ton of ginger and hot peppers. 'Cause we're weird like that... ;)

It's a historically accurate technique for the strong belgian ales, brew (for example) a triple from first runnings then use the rest for a patersbier or belgian single. I've often added a bit more crystal malt on top of the mash just before adding water for second runnings to get a bit more body in the single.

Kai has an excellent writeup and even a spreadsheet to help calculate what gravity you can expect, here:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Batch_Sparge_and_Party_Gyle_Simulator

Back