Mash water temperature sensor with alarm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
Let me start off with saying I am lazy.

It takes about 30 minutes to heat up 12 gallons of water to 166 degrees for mash in water. I want to start the burner and walk away until it reaches the correct temp. Does anyone know of a probe or sensor that has an alarm that will go off when the water temp hits what you want? Does this already exist?

stuff it between the top of the lid and the pot, put the rest of the cable and the sensor on top of the lid?

me? no! never! :cross: sorry, i'm just in love with my electric setup. :) i couldn't imagine walking away from a gas setup, especially an automated one. when my rig was propane i used to get nervous running into the house from the porch for hop additions or a bathroom break.

but i leave my eHLT going while i run errands all the time. i even sous vide in it unsupervised.

Yes! I am all the time running into town with my brew going. I usually go get ice just after I sparge. Granted, I live in the country and "in-town" is only a mile away... haha! I know what you mean though... I am even contemplating prepping my brewery for an after-work brew day and leaving the panel on. I will give my wife a call to ask her to flip the pumps and element-on switches about a half hour before I leave work. That should get me started with mashing as soon as I get home!

Ok, next question guys: Let me start off by saying I'm lazy. Is there any way to measure like the specific gravity of my beer-making liquid just before fermentation? Like a calibrated device that floats and reads the gravity?

:derp:

First answer: I got a remote grill thermometer from Wal-Mart for about $15. Has alarms for "Medium" at 160F and Well done at 170F... works great all the way to boil.
2nd answer: I just saw a reflectometer gravity meter, you put a drop of unfermented wort into it and view the gravity.

First answer: I got a remote grill thermometer from Wal-Mart for about $15. Has alarms for "Medium" at 160F and Well done at 170F... works great all the way to boil.
2nd answer: I just saw a reflectometer gravity meter, you put a drop of unfermented wort into it and view the gravity.

I got that exact same one! Love it!

0003069805485_500X500.jpg

The Backyard Grill Wireless Thermometer is the ultimate grilling gadget. This programmable digital thermometer transmits a wireless signal up to 100 feet. Choose from eight taste settings and five meat selections for grilling perfection. The large LCD screen displays the temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius, and the built-in timer beeps when your food is ready.

Backyard Grill Wireless Thermometer:
•Programmable
•Wireless
•Transmits signal up to 100'
•8 taste settings
•5 meat selections
•Digital LCD screen
•Displays temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius
•Built-in timer

Careful because those probes are not recommended for immersion. I have sent one to Davy Jones. :(

Back