Copper coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know a good place to get some 50 foot coils of soft copper? I'm going to try to build a Whirlpool immersion chiller and want to use standard 1/2" fittings which I believe take tubing that is 5/8" OD.

Home depot, Lowes, Meynerds, McClellans, etc. all have 50' soft copper coils.

Yeah I was hoping to find somewhere to get it wholesale and not retail. Ill try some plumbing supply stores

plumbing supply stores, make sure to get the one graded for refrigeration vs the one for water applications. The refrigeration version has thinner walls and is much cheaper. If you are using it for an immersion chiller or herms coil the difference in wall thickness will have little to no bearing on the performance.

I got mine from grainger for pretty cheap.

What is pretty cheap? Cheapest I've found 1/2" @ 50' is $74...

what are you guys paying for 50' copper 1/2" or 5/8" and where you getting it?

Seems to me like paying $75, you might as well just buy a chiller.

J187 said:
What is pretty cheap? Cheapest I've found 1/2" @ 50' is $74...

what are you guys paying for 50' copper 1/2" or 5/8" and where you getting it?

Seems to me like paying $75, you might as well just buy a chiller.

I'm struggling with this myself, everywhere I look for 1/2" copper for what JUST the copper costs I can buy one made AND shipped for the same. I think I'm just gonna buy one.

That's what I found when I bought my chiller.
copper prices go up and down so you need to see what it costs for the pipe right now vs buying a chiller.
I ended up buying a chiller.

doc5md said:
coppertubingsales.com is where i got mine. they also have complete kits with fittings for chillers, too. simple.

Thanks for the info, they have a kit for $66+ shipping that is less than the copper.

coppertubingsales.com is where i got mine. they also have complete kits with fittings for chillers, too. simple.

Right now they have 50' of 1/2 for $79.99 - my local HD has it for $74.99. Still, $75 + fittings and elbows, and you're right up to $90+ again.

I was struggling with the same decision and then came across a $50 coupon for Home Depot on slickdeals.net. I was able to make a 50ft. 3/8" chiller with all the fittings for about $24 after using my coupon.

The coupon is no longer available, but keep an eye on the slickdeal website, as they pop up from time to time. I also get coupons from Lowes and HD in the mail from time to time.

If you can't find a coupon then it's probably easier to just buy a chiller. The best prices I've seen on them were on Amazon.

I got a stainless for less than I could buy the material for through NewYork Brew Supply. With freight and everything it was still cheaper than I could buy just the tubing from HD/Lowes. It came out of the box, ready to use and got here in 3 days.
Wheelchair Bob

Back