2nd All-Grain Batch (Moose Drool Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
Currently brewing my second AG. A Moose Drool Clone courtesy of Can You Brew It.

11# 2-row
1.25# Caramel 80
5.5 oz Chocolate Malt
.5 oz Black Patent

Mashed in @ 154 with 3.25 gallons. for 75 min

will mashout @ 168 with 2 gallons

should get between 4-4.25 gallons and will sparge to get the additional 3-3.25gallons.

Will boil for 60 with 1.5oz EKG (60), .5 oz Willamette (10), .5 oz Liberty (0)

1st AG was Jamil's Blonde Ale. It is currently kegged and force carbing. Samples tasted great.

I made this clone and it's so freaking good it has become my house brown ale.

Did you notice how in the interview there was a discrepancy between the late hops Jamil used and what the brewer advised? I believe the brewery actually makes it with a 15, 10, and 0min addition, so that's what I did (half oz at each). Probably not a big difference but me likey hops.

I actually remade this beer using a Centennial and Amarillo blend at each addition. It was really cool to taste them side by side. The citrusy hops definitely showed through a little stronger, and though I tried to get the IBUs the same, the second batch tasted a little more bitter. It may have just been my mind playing tricks on me because of the association with bitterness and citrus hops. Overall I preferred the original, but I can see a lot more experimentation with this beer in the future (dry hopping anyone?).

And this is the beer that turned me onto Wyeast 1968/WLP 002. LOVE it... house yeast now.

Man that's got to be really dark with the chocolate/patent. Is the commercial brew that dark?

Also is Caramel 80 the same as crystal 80?

It's dark, but not past the point where you wouldn't call it a brown ale. Here are both of my batches:

IMG_8924640x427.jpg

I'd say this recipe has more dark grains than your average brown ale and they really shine through nicely. "Hoppy coffee" is a comment I've gotten about it. The English ale yeast really helps to accentuate the malt and give it a round richness.

And yes, caramel/crystal 80 is the same thing.

I made this clone and it's so freaking good it has become my house brown ale.

Did you notice how in the interview there was a discrepancy between the late hops Jamil used and what the brewer advised? I believe the brewery actually makes it with a 15, 10, and 0min addition, so that's what I did (half oz at each). Probably not a big difference but me likey hops.

I actually remade this beer using a Centennial and Amarillo blend at each addition. It was really cool to taste them side by side. The citrusy hops definitely showed through a little stronger, and though I tried to get the IBUs the same, the second batch tasted a little more bitter. It may have just been my mind playing tricks on me because of the association with bitterness and citrus hops. Overall I preferred the original, but I can see a lot more experimentation with this beer in the future (dry hopping anyone?).

And this is the beer that turned me onto Wyeast 1968/WLP 002. LOVE it... house yeast now.

Yeah, I noticed the difference but I used Jamil's additions. Smells great.

It's dark, but not past the point where you wouldn't call it a brown ale. Here are both of my batches:

I'd say this recipe has more dark grains than your average brown ale and they really shine through nicely. "Hoppy coffee" is a comment I've gotten about it. The English ale yeast really helps to accentuate the malt and give it a round richness.

And yes, caramel/crystal 80 is the same thing.

Looks pretty. I love browns so i'll have to give this a try. i think my brother drinks it out Montana way.

I had it for the first time when I visited Montana last October. It's a shame I can't get it in NC. I never have been able to do a taste test with the commercial version.

My neighbor made a batch of this and we finished it off over the summer. The commercial version isn't available in my area, so all I've ever had is the clonebrew. I gotta say, if the commercial is half as good as the clone, I would love to try it!

Brewing this tomorrow. I've had Moose drool and cannot get it in Florida. I'm hoping this is close!! Thanks for the recipe!

Back