accidental orange in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefwit

Reaction score
I was mid batch making cider from concentrate when I realized one of the cans was concentrated OJ. Has anyone else added a little orange juice to their cider and more importantly how did it turn out.

I have not, but depending on how large a batch you make it should ferment fine. (If it were all orange juice, itd be difficult. If its 10 cans apple, 1 orange, fine) dont know what the flavor might be like though.

I have heard that straight orange juice is rather unpleasant when fermented, but it'd be interesting to see how this mix comes out.

Recipe was 11 16oz. Cans of Apple juice, and 1 12oz. Can of cranberry juice for a little color and tartness, and then the sleeper OJ. So it shouldn't affect much, but I was curious if anyone had internationally tried it.

Update, this is the best cider I have made to date. It was good enough at bottling that I made another batch. The second batch I did use a 12 oz. can of pulp free OJ instead of a 16 oz. can of regular OJ to tone down the citrus abit. This was clean, crisp and had just enough residual sweetness and citrus tart, to make me want to pour a second (or third) glass.

I am going to try this!! So... You used a can of pulp free concentrate, mixed with water?

I added the concentrate and then refilled the cans with water twice, which almost got me to 5 gal. I then pitched yeast and filled to top off the carboy. Original Gravity roughly 1.065-1.070.

update: I have decided that this is still a bit sour/acidic. I brewed another batch and left out the cranberry cocktail concentrate and substituted another 12 oz. can of apple concentrate. Currently bubbling away at about one bubble/ second. Second batch is in secondary with a SG of 1.00. should be ready to bottle soon.

Back