Holiday Beer with oak chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHokie

Reaction score
I'm brewing the Holiday Ale with the kit from Midwest Brewing. I tweaked the recipe just a little bit, but after touring the JD Distillery in TN, I heard about storing beer in the oak casks. I've thought about putting oak chips in the secondary, but I'm not sure how it would taste with a holiday ale. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The best of both worlds would be to brew the kit as is and then rack half of it to a secondary with some oak spirals / chips. Be sure to sample every few days to get the level of oak you want. If you happen to overoak it a bit, you can dilute it down with some of the non oaked version.

Wow, great idea. I have a free 1 gallon carboy and can spare it. It sounds like it will need to sit for a while longer than the other version, but I'm excited about it. Thanks for the tip.

Using oak chips will get a lot of flavor in about 8 days from my experience. You can soak them in bourbon/whiskey in an airtight container while fermenting. Then pour all through a hop sock into secondary,tie it off & drop in. Rack on top of it. Or boil the chips in 1C of water for 15 minutes or so,then cool covered & proceed the same way as above.

Back