Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first label!

Plinian_Eruption_First_Draft.png

That's a slick label. I have barely serviceable graphics skills and I struggle to get the small fonts to look crisp like this.

Here is my latest:

3c150ce5.jpg

I think the fonts for the side text need smaller and a more narrow font.

also, it is a bit busy with the 3 font choices floating in the middle image. mixing fonts is fine if the are set apart but there is no banner and just to give visual interest and differentiate the areas of the titles.

I like the description, and am supremely jealous you can go to Pizzeria de Michele any time you wish!!!

Yeah, it is pretty sweet. We are probably going to go get some pizza there on Saturday. We live a little north of the city, and to be honest, pretty much every pizzeria is equally amazing, especially outside the city center. I walk 2 min to my local place and get the best margherita I've ever had for 2 euros.

I didn't think the pizza could be that much better than American pizza when I was moving over here, but I was supremely wrong. I will definitely miss it when I leave.

Here Are a couple I have made. Two Brewery labels and one beer label.

everything looks good except the first one looks a little dark. it might just be the preview and it might print well, but altering the brightness and contrast might make it pop more. with my phaser, i find that images always print darker than they appear on my screen so it might just be me.

My first three brews:

#1 Kölsch beer (Kölski is the Icelandic name for the devil)
001---gerreksson-b.jpg

#2 Robust stout (Jon Craxton was a bishop in Iceland in ancient times)
002---graxton-copy.jpg

#3 Trappist beer (Oddur munkur was a monk in Iceland many hundred years ago)
003---oddur_munkur.jpg

The first batch with the labels:
fyrstu-bjorar.jpg

everything looks good except the first one looks a little dark. it might just be the preview and it might print well, but altering the brightness and contrast might make it pop more. with my phaser, i find that images always print darker than they appear on my screen so it might just be me.

Everything prints darker than a screen, a screen emits light...paper doesn't. You can set up color profiles to match printing and there is an easy setting in photoshop that does this as well.

@gugguson

I really like the way your bottles look with the thin label bottom aligned. I'm going to have to give that a go on my next batches.

I didn't think the pizza could be that much better than American pizza when I was moving over here, but I was supremely wrong. I will definitely miss it when I leave.

Yea, completely day and night difference. I look forward to the day I can return and get some more of the amazing Napoli pizza... Marinara is where it's at! :mug:

@gugguson

I really like the way your bottles look with the thin label bottom aligned. I'm going to have to give that a go on my next batches.

really? not that i think HB labels have to look 100% commerical, but to me, the skinny label doesn't look like any beer bottle i have ever seen so its odd

Here's the label for my Milk Oatmeal Stout that is conditioning. Everyday on my way to work, I drive by this field with a bunch of cows grazing. There is only one black cow among them, and it always looks sort of curious. I decided to take a photo and dedicate my beer to him/her.

OneBlackCow-1.jpg

Well hello there, so I brewed my first batch ever, turned out pretty well :)
It's an IPA so I came up with the most original name.

And well, here's what the label looks like.
IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

I went for a classic look!

Oh and if you're wondering, I only had wine bottles around so that's why I bottled in those. Hope none explodes..

looks good. the scrolls remind me of spamalot/mp and the holy grail.

since this is customizable, are you going to make this template available to others who can't design labels?

Thanks Kurtism! Customization is available for this label and many other premade labels that we have designed. Check out our gallery here on HomeBrewTalk for our other designs: https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=102044

We also offer fully custom labels as well.

Have a great day! :mug:

Here's the label for my Milk Oatmeal Stout that is conditioning. Everyday on my way to work, I drive by this field with a bunch of cows grazing. There is only one black cow among them, and it always looks sort of curious. I decided to take a photo and dedicate my beer to him/her.

If you haven't printed, I think Oatmeal Milk Stout rolls off the tongue a bit easier that Milk Oatmeal Stout. Perhaps that is because the two monosyllabic words can be joined metrically to balance the bisyllabic word, giving two even Trochaic feet. It might just be me, though.

I know I've posted this before but I wanted to use it to give my friend James a plug. He did this label for me in about an hour. The guy is incredibly talented in every aspect of art. He was one of the lead designers and did most the landscaping in the new game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. He did some of the characters but pretty much all the landscapes. He is setting up a website as we speak and once its up I will post it on here. He really likes doing the labels and I’m sure would love to help you out if you so desire. So that’s my plug for my buddy.

AtomicDonkeyLabel.jpg

I know I've posted this before but I wanted to use it to give my friend James a plug. He did this label for me in about an hour. The guy is incredibly talented in every aspect of art. He was one of the lead designers and did most the landscaping in the new game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. He did some of the characters but pretty much all the landscapes. He is setting up a website as we speak and once its up I will post it on here. He really likes doing the labels and I’m sure would love to help you out if you so desire. So that’s my plug for my buddy.

it is probably just me but the contrast of sharp well defined lines/text box with the more dull background looks out of place. also the tonal differences aren't just right...a pink hue fading to blue, with a black center image AND gold lining...the elements don't blend well to me but its just an opinion. plus, you say it took an hour...my labels don't take me a long time, but this looks like it should have taken less than an hour. the only "difficult" thing here is coloring the donkey. other than that...its a couple of textures and a few lines of text with transparency.

I am an a pilot and aviation nut so all of my labels are aviation related. The middle photo is me flying my Dad's airplane. :mug: I have a bunch more somewhere on another hard drive. I keg all my beers for the most part so I framed my labels and they are hanging above the bar.

classic copy.jpg

coyotehefe.jpg

hawgjuice copy.jpg

First labels I've done. Thought I would do something I could use for several different batches. Left spots to write the abv and volume. Think I'll add a spot for a brew date and a batch name on one side. Printed at office depot and applied with milk.

image-2750165962.jpg

image-2490006110.jpg

redstache said:
First labels I've done. Thought I would do something I could use for several different batches. Left spots to write the abv and volume. Think I'll add a spot for a brew date and a batch name on one side. Printed at office depot and applied with milk.

I like it man, crisp printing... very nice

kurtism said:
it is probably just me but the contrast of sharp well defined lines/text box with the more dull background looks out of place. also the tonal differences aren't just right...a pink hue fading to blue, with a black center image AND gold lining...the elements don't blend well to me but its just an opinion. plus, you say it took an hour...my labels don't take me a long time, but this looks like it should have taken less than an hour. the only "difficult" thing here is coloring the donkey. other than that...its a couple of textures and a few lines of text with transparency.

Sounds like you went to art school or something?!

A buddy of mine designed this for me but left out the side notes about pouring and the alc content. First draft. Might do a separate label on the neck with that info. not sure yet

screen-capture-1.jpg

Thats what I though...a long post criticizing a label with nothing constructive in it...smells of an art history major or something

ha....no art history for me. i took real classes...hard ones too. i just like da photoshop...i likes it alot!

the reason for lack of constructive criticism is that the guy who posted it said...
1) a friend made it...
2) ...a while ago and
3) his friend is a professional game designer

taken together there is little reason to offer advice because the designer likely won't see the comments and may not revisit a past project that might have been printed and used already.

most importantly, the poster thinks this label is awesome and that his friend is an excellent designer. the latter may be true, but the former is clearly subjective. that it took an hour to make is a comment directed at the relative ease his friend had in making this label. that's somewhat insultive to the efforts others put in without any understanding to the process. hence my criticism.

A buddy of mine designed this for me but left out the side notes about pouring and the alc content. First draft. Might do a separate label on the neck with that info. not sure yet

i would recommend revisiting the image fade. if i were him, i'd duplicate the image, set transparency to about 20%, fade that, then overlap (maybe even dodge the color to make it pop) and fade the top image. that way the transition from red to house image isn't abrupt.

otherwise...it looks cool. do you have labels that are this pattern or are you going to hand cut them.

Yeah I certainly wasnt trying to insult anyone. Not sure how you got that from the post. I would have to agree with Calic and Dave. The point of saying it took an hour was that I think my buddy is an outstanding artist. If you're insulted then I would say you are far too sensitive and read into stuff a little much. And I disagree with your assesment

Dand, thats a sweet label. Love the covered bridge.

kurtism said:
i would recommend revisiting the image fade. if i were him, i'd duplicate the image, set transparency to about 20%, fade that, then overlap (maybe even dodge the color to make it pop) and fade the top image. that way the transition from red to house image isn't abrupt.

otherwise...it looks cool. do you have labels that are this pattern or are you going to hand cut them.

I'll show him what you said. Overall I'm pleased. I don't have a pattern. I'm only labeling a six pack or two of each beer I make so I won't mind cutting them. I'm a noob but I want to keep one of each kind unopened for years just for keepsake. My business deals with a local print shop so I can get awesome prices on vinyl stick labels.

Back