Forgot to stir the wort and water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys...been homebrewing for 3 years now, but have been doing full wort boils ever since my second batch, hence by screw-up detailed below...

I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of pale ale over the weekend, and it'd been so log since I'd done a concentrated wort boil, I forgot to stir the wort after I topped it up with 3 gallons of cold water...will that be a problem? I poured the water from about 1-2' above the bucket, so it went in fast and hard, and fermentation occured quickly and has now calmed down considerably (3 days later). I'm thinking the action of pouring 3 gallons of water into the wort would have stirred things up quite well and the activity of the yeast doing its thing would have helped as well...but I'm still worrying, contrary to Charlie Papazian's sagely advice...

Think it'll be ok?

I don't see any reason why not. Diffusion will occur. It's not like the it's oil and water.

Hey guys...been homebrewing for 3 years now, but have been doing full wort boils ever since my second batch, hance by screw-up detailed below...

I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of pale ale over the weekend, and it'd been so log since I'd done a concentrated wort boil, I forgot to stir the wort after I topped it up with 3 gallons of cold water...will that be a problem? I poured the water from about 1-2' above the bucket, so it went in fast and hard, and fermentation occured quickly and has now calmed down considerably (3 days later). I'm thinking the action of pouring 3 gallons of water into the wort would have stirred things up quite well and the activity of the yeast doing its thing would have helped as well...but I'm still owrrying, contrary to Charlie Papazian's sagely advice...

Think it'll be ok?
It's fine. The yeast know what to do. They've done it for millennia. Listen to Charlie, Padawan.

Mixing is only important to get accurate gravity readings. On extract recipes it is nearly impossible to be far off from the OG if your volumes are right so gravity readings aren't incredibly important.

My neighbor couldn't get his belgian rock candy to disolve in the fermenter for his trippel, but the yeast found ways to gobble it up anyway!

Back