Popped open a bottle of year old Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impur

Reaction score
About 1 year ago today I brewed up an Amber Ale, it was a BIAB kit from Midwest i believe. I didn't have my fermentation chamber back then, so fermentation temps were a little high and caused some estery off-flavors. I am not a fan of the ester flavor, so its been sitting in bottles in my brew closet ever since. We'll occasionally use a bottle for cooking, but other than that i didn't know what to do with it.

So this past weekend I tossed a few in the fridge to give them a try. Popped one open and wow, the ester flavor is gone. Now its a nicely balanced amber!! I was amazed to say the least.

I've always been afraid that aging will cause my brews to lose their hop flavor or something to that effect and never imagined that they could get that much better after a year. :ban::mug:

Congrats!! I have beer hidden in the man room that is almost 3 years old. I find a few every now and then. Love them!! I guess the best part is I can also start hidding my own Easter eggs.

Thanks guys! Its nice to have a brew that was initially a big disappointment turn out to be so tasty :)

Back