Tannic flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipkid

Reaction score
Before I get to the meat of my first post here, I want to thank all the experienced brewers here who have posted so much useful information. Without reading loads of old threads on this board (and Palmer's How To Brew), I probably would have been lost with just the instructions from my LHBS's kit.

So, my very first homebrew - an English IPA - has been in the bucket for a week now, so I went in and took a sample to read SG. Things seem to be moving along, and the sample tastes and smells more or less like beer, with no detectable satanic and/or anal flavors. :rockin: But, there is a pretty strong tannic flavor. I suspect this is because I accidentally let a big clump of hop sludge fall into the fermenter when transferring the wort. Granted, I sampled the beer at room temp, so chilling the finished product should help some, but it was pretty intense. So, what should I do?

A.) Rack to secondary to get the beer away from the hop sludge.

B.) RDWHAB (I don't have any HB yet), and trust the yeast to take care of weird flavors.

C.) A third (or fourth or fifth) option.

Ah, that makes me think. I did the same:

"big clump of hop sludge fall into the fermenter when transferring the wort."

Should I have strained the wort into the primary? Or does it not matter.

I just dump everything into my fermenter. If you let it ferment long enough it'll settle out. I've never heard of any off flavors from doing this. Give it time, it'll be fine.

Don't waste time with a secondary for such a beer. Let it sit on the yeast for a month or two and then bottle. Did you use all extract or did you use specialty grains? If it is all extract you probably do not have tannins. If you used specialty grains and steeped them too hot you may have tannins.

BTW, it doesn't matter about the big clump.

Don't do anything, I highly doubt you have tannins or anything else wrong with your beer for that matter, you have new brewer fear and nothing else.

If you're tasting an off flavor (not vinegar/sour) while the beer is NOT carbed and conditioned more than likely are tasting green beer, and NOT a anything wrong.

Almost ALL my beers in the fermenter taste like iced tea/tannins when they're not finished yet, that's why I pretty much never taste my wort anymore, because it means ABSOLUTELY nothing. Especially not that anything is wrong.

You wouldn't believe the number of new brewer panic threads we get on here where folks SWEAR their beer is full of tannins, when they are tasting it in the fermenter...but when the beer is complete it mysteriously dissapears, just just like new brewer's SWEARING their beer is infected, has diactyl, autolysis, or any of the other things listed in those off flavors list.

But the biggest thing is that you are trying to diagnose your beer as having a problem when it is still early on the journey....And not even in the bottles yet.)

I see this all the time, new nervous brewers panicking and self diagnosing their beer WAY TOO EARLY ON THE JOURNEY....

Read this;

Singljohn hit the nail on the head...The only problem is that you aren't seeing the beer through it's complete process BEFORE calling what is probably just green beer, an off flavor.

It sounds like you are tasting it in the fermenter? If that is the case, do nothing. Because nothing is wrong.

It really is hard to judge a beer until it's been about 6 weeks in the bottle. Just because you taste (or smell) something in primary or secondary DOESN'T mean it will be there when the beer is fully conditioned (that's also the case with kegging too.)

The thing to remember though is that if you are smelling or tasting this during fermentation not to worry. During fermentation all manner of stinky stuff is given off (ask lager brewers about rotten egg/sulphur smells, or Apfelwein makers about "rhino farts,") like we often say, fermentation is often ugly AND stinky and PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It's really only down the line, AFTER the beer has been fermented (and often after it has bottle conditioned even,) that you concern yourself with any flavor issues if they are still there.

I think too many new brewers focus to much on this stuff too early in the beer's journey. And they panic unnecessarily.

A lot of the stuff you smell/taste initially more than likely ends up disappearing either during a long primary/primary & secondary combo, Diacetyl rests and even during bottle conditioning.

If I find a flavor/smell, I usually wait til it's been in the bottle 6 weeks before I try to "diagnose" what went wrong, that way I am sure the beer has passed any window of greenness.

Lagering is a prime example of this. Lager yeast are prone to the production of a lot of byproducts, the most familiar one is sulphur compounds (rhino farts) but in the dark cold of the lagering process, which is at the minimum of a month (I think many homebrewers don't lager long enough) the yeast slowly consumes all those compounds which results in extremely clean tasting beers if done skillfully.

Ales have their own version of this, but it's all the same. Time is your friend.

If you are sampling your beer before you have passed a 'window of greeness" which my experience is about 3-6 weeks in the bottle, then you are more than likely just experiencing an "off flavor" due to the presence of those byproducts (that's what we mean when we say the beer is "green" it's still young and unconditioned.) but once the process is done, over 90% of the time the flavors/smells are gone.

Of the remaining 10%, half of those may still be salvageable through the long time storage that I mention in the Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer:

And the remaining 50% of the last 10% are where these tables and lists come into play. To understand what you did wrong, so you can avoid it in the future.

Long story short....I betcha that smell/flavor will be long gone when the beer is carbed and conditioned.

In other words, relax, your beer will be just fine, like 99.5%.

You can find more info on that in here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Just remember it will not be the same beer it is now, and you shouldn't stress what you are tasting right now.

Our beer is more resilient then most new brewers realize, and time can be a big healer. Just read the stories in this thread of mine, and see how many times a beer that someone thought was bad, turned out to be fine weeks later.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

I would just relax, get the beer carbed and conditioned, and then see if you truly have an issue.

I bet after it's been in the bottle or keg 4 weeks, you'll come back like 99% of the other guys who start threads like this, and report that the beer is great.

Just like this guy who swore he had a problem with his beer, when it was early.

****** said:
Just wanted to update, the beer is extremely pleasant now. The diacetyl is barely noticable now. It's not completely crisp, but still very good. It actually tastes a lot like Stella, though maybe that's just because I used Belgian pilsner malt.

I'm gonna bet you DON'T have tannins, or ANY OTHER issues with your beer- Rather you have newbitus compounded with impatience.....;)

Just leave your beer alone for now, then bottle and leave it alone for another month at 70 degrees, then come back and post how silly you were with your nervous self, and how right we were.

:mug:

I know how many times I second-guessed the beer, even though it was only 4 weeks old...I try not to do that any more

2 weeks later, under pressure, things improved big time...I think your beer will be fine

Thanks, guys. I didn't mean to come off like a panicked newb - believe me, if this first bucket comes out as something even resembling beer (and I'm sure it will), I'll be ecstatic just to finally have one batch under my belt. Many thanks for the reassurance.

Now I will go write 100 times on the blackboard:

I WILL NOT WORRY ABOUT MY BEER.

Thanks, guys. I didn't mean to come off like a panicked newb - believe me, if this first bucket comes out as something even resembling beer (and I'm sure it will), I'll be ecstatic just to finally have one batch under my belt. Many thanks for the reassurance.

Now I will go write 100 times on the blackboard:

We've all been there and we have all benefited greatly from others' teachings. We all have had times when we are stumped or just plain want to give up on brewing and then get a little help to figure something out and produce a great beer and get our momentum back. Don't worry about being new and having newb questions, plenty here are happy to give feedback to help you on your journey. If you stick with the hobby you will have years of enjoyment as you look forward to brewing something new or trying a different technique...just be sure to give back from time to time on the forums. Alrighty, I'll stop rambling, this RR Consecration went straight to the head :cross:

Back