Help with oxiclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hereforbeer

Reaction score
So I've read multiple threads on the stuff and the slime/scum/white shiet that sticks to bottles.I've used vinegar and star san with success(just impractical),and hot water and anger without success.

I have a batch of dunkelweizen ready for bottle,but I'm afraid of since I find de-labeling/cleaning the bottles such a hassle.I think I need some tips on tried and trued oxiclean usage.

I really,really,really wanna drink my beer guys.

Just fill up a sink or bucket and dump half a scoop of oxyclean in and soak overnight the labels will fall off during the soak usually.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Go to your local lowes and get the red box of TSP (trisodiumphosphate) and mix it with your oxyclean in a 30:70 TSP : oxy ratio by weight.

It pretty makes PBW and gets rid of the white film problem. I had the same problem too until I did that. And it's a 4 dollar solution.

In most cases most of the glue is disolved while soaking but when it leaves a little film i just take a ss or copper scrubbie and it comes right off

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Go to your local lowes and get the red box of TSP (trisodiumphosphate) and mix it with your oxyclean in a 30:70 TSP : oxy ratio by weight.

It pretty makes PBW and gets rid of the white film problem. I had the same problem too until I did that. And it's a 4 dollar solution.

That sounds good,any more details to it?time?temperature?just worried cause it sounds too good to be true.

I remember reading in some thread where the poster said it was important to use the TSP/90 (available at Ace HW), and not the regular TSP. I haven't tried it, so don't know. IIRC, the TSP/90 is sodium metasilicate.

DeafSmith said:
I remember reading in some thread where the poster said it was important to use the TSP/90 (available at Ace HW), and not the regular TSP. I haven't tried it, so don't know. IIRC, the TSP/90 is sodium metasilicate.

I will try TSP first since the poster sounds like he's used it before.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Honestly, I just fill up one side of my sink with hot, soapy water and can submerge about 7 12oz. bottles (I have a shallow sink). A 24-hour soak softens up most labels. Anything that doesn't just peel off (the "white film" from the glue, for instance), scratches off very easily. Just something to consider, if you have the time to space out your de-labeling. You can avoid the extra chemicals this way too.

Honestly, I just fill up one side of my sink with hot, soapy water and can submerge about 7 12oz. bottles (I have a shallow sink). A 24-hour soak softens up most labels. Anything that doesn't just peel off (the "white film" from the glue, for instance), scratches off very easily. Just something to consider, if you have the time to space out your de-labeling. You can avoid the extra chemicals this way too.

I think the white film the OP was talking about is from mineral deposits inside the bottles - at least that's what I have trouble with using straight OxiClean (depends on your water, I suppose). I don't have that problem when I use PBW, but PBW is really expensive.

DeafSmith said:
I think the white film the OP was talking about is from mineral deposits inside the bottles - at least that's what I have trouble with using straight OxiClean (depends on your water, I suppose). I don't have that problem when I use PBW, but PBW is really expensive.

Yeah you're right. It is REALLY hard to get rid of that beautiful white stuff without an acidic thing.We need an oxiclean faq.

Well, for removing bottles I soak for about 20 min at 120 F, but for cleaning the brewery, etc I soak at 180 F. Mostly because I know I will be sticking my hands in the water for the lable removing.

There are two boxes for the TSP, a green box and a red box that they carried at my lows. The red box was actually trisodiumphosphate on the box, the green one was some other TSP replacement that wasnt actually TSP, not sure what exactly was in it.

What I do know is that I mixed mine with the red box of TSP and it works great.

I use the Sierra Nevada bottles and I put 24 in my sink with hot water and about 1/2 scoop of Oxyclean. After about 20 minutes, the labels came right off, I wiped the residual glue off with a sponge and rinsed the heck out of them. I did this twice for 2 cases and had no film whatsoever. But I guess water quality/hardness can certainly be an issue.

I have really hard water and oxyclean leaves a film on my bottles. I use lemmishine it is what my wife has to put in the dishwasher to get rid of hard water spots. After I remove the labels and clean the bottles I have another bucket with that mixed in and shake them with that solution, it comes right off.

I found an interesting link on the difference between trisodium phosphate and sodium metasilicate, turns out one is just an enviro safe one of the other, but both should do the same job.

That means that the green box from lowes, or the TSP/90 from ACE are the phosphate free versions of the red box that I have from lowes.

Sense I used true TSP and not sodium metasilicate, I guess either will work, the way I did it was just less good for the environment. Next time I might switch to the more enviro friendly one.

http://www.housekeepingchannel.com/hcp_195-Trisodium_phosphate_TSP

For more technical information:
http://www.chemistry.co.nz/deterg_inorganic.htm

Does the OP sanitize the bottles (i.e., with Star San) before using them (after using the Oxiclean)? If so, doesn't that solve the slime problem? Personally, I would not bottle a beer after just an oxiclean bath--I'd still use a separate sanitizer first.

Steps:
1) soak bottles in oxyclean to remove labels (overnight).
2) quick rinse out of bottles when removing from oxyclean, rinse off label bits, chucks of nastiness, etc.
3) submerge bottles in starsan. let sit 30 seconds. pour starsan out. immediately add beer (do not rinse or let the bottle dry out) and cap.

here is how I did mine.

soak in HOT oxy/TSP solution over night.
labels just come right off.
use sponge and scrub off sticky icky residue
put is dishwasher with soap and hot steam cycle
Starsan before filling.

-=Jason=-

I just started using oxiclean, so haven't tried it on bottles yet. Is an oxiclean soak, followed by a good rinse and sanitizing with a vinator and star san sufficient, or is the residue still an issue?

Soaked bottles overnight in Oxy Clean & labes fell off. Then sink-top jet wash followed by ventilator with one step.

I don't mean to be a bear, I've used oxi-clean on some older bottles I've recently acquired to get the gunk out of the bottle itself but never to de-label them. Do the labels pose any sort of hazard to the beer itself or is it simply an aesthetics thing?

I don't mean to be a bear, I've used oxi-clean on some older bottles I've recently acquired to get the gunk out of the bottle itself but never to de-label them. Do the labels pose any sort of hazard to the beer itself or is it simply an aesthetics thing?

well if using your dish washer you don't want that paper coming off and clogging up your drain.

-=Jason=-

Does the OP sanitize the bottles (i.e., with Star San) before using them (after using the Oxiclean)? If so, doesn't that solve the slime problem? Personally, I would not bottle a beer after just an oxiclean bath--I'd still use a separate sanitizer first.

Steps:
1) soak bottles in oxyclean to remove labels (overnight).
2) quick rinse out of bottles when removing from oxyclean, rinse off label bits, chucks of nastiness, etc.
3) submerge bottles in starsan. let sit 30 seconds. pour starsan out. immediately add beer (do not rinse or let the bottle dry out) and cap.

Yes,I use star san,and while it does remove the film,it turns my star san cloudy as well.It's a waste of star san in my view.

Dishwasher detergents don't contain phosphates anymore. Now, if you have hard water, calcium carbonate (limestone) will form on your glass.

Acids will get rid of this. Vinegar and starsan should get if off. I've heard of people putting lemon juice in their dishwasher. Lemmishine also works.

A household water softener will make this go away.

So I finally got around using oxiclean plus tsp (green box) on my better bottle and it worked great.thanks for the info guys, the info should be wikie'd.

Back