My first "equipment limitation" problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Jose State University

Reaction score
Alright... so some of you know I make beer in a Mr. Beer kit fermentor.

I finally scrapped up some cash and got a bucket for five gallon, but I have a problem with my LAST BATCH of 2 gallon brew.

I made a pale ale with 1056 yeast, 2.5 lb amber malt, and .5lb victory malt (steeped).

Normally, with my "weaker," lesser... quality batches, the fermentor works great for my little two gallon batches. It ferments, I bottle with fairly clear beer, and life is good.

However, I've hit my first problem with the fermentor (and last, apparently). The krausen went a little crazy so that it went to the lid of the fermentor, which isn't bad. The problem is that I see a lot of "gunk" falling into the bottom of the little keg. I know this gunk is normally normal, so to speak, but I fear that I won't be able to bottle it correctly if it keeps piling up at the rate it's going!

Anyone have any ideas of how I can bottle my last batch (which I believe will kick ass) when it's done? Do you think I can still just use the spout despite the gunk at the bottom?

I am not familiar with the mr beer but it sounds like you are describing krausen...either way, your gunk should fall back into the beer over time leaving you with clear brew to rack into your bottling bucket or however you proceed (just don't disturb the trub on the bottom and you are set).

Use the spout & run it into a soda bottle until it's clear. Then bottle the rest.

Put at a slight incline toward the spout. Then the sediment can fall away fromthe spigot. Then pour off a little intil the beer is the right color/clarity you have come to know from the Mr. Beer. Should taste fine even if you have a bunch of sediment left, just pour less from each bottle into a glass.

Kayos said:
Put at a slight incline toward the spout. Then the sediment can fall away fromthe spigot. Then pour off a little intil the beer is the right color/clarity you have come to know from the Mr. Beer. Should taste fine even if you have a bunch of sediment left, just pour less from each bottle into a glass.

hmm... thanks! that might just very well be the best option!

Back