Help me make a no-rinse concentration of ClO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalmYourself

Reaction score
I'm getting fresh stock of Chlorine Dioxide next week straight from the company that produces it so it will be as fresh as possible.

It comes as a 2000ppm solution (this one here)

What dilution do I use to make a no-rinse sanitiser from this concentration?

I've heard that 4ppm is sufficient, so by my maths that makes it: 40ml for 20 litres (yes, metric, and yes, I spell colour correctly too :cross:)

Does that ratio sound about right?

I believe the reason that you have not received a reply is that no one has heard of the stuff. Most of us use Iodophor or StarSan. These sanitizers are well known and have an excellent track record among home brewers. This is not to say that the Chlorine Dioxide might not work well for some reason, only that few, if any, have experience using it.

Believe me, I wish I could get starsan here. I've looked. I've tried contacting a few vendors but the price of importing even a small amount is completely ridiculous.

One of the other guys on this forum suggested I contact local food companies and brewpubs and the most common sanitiser seems to be Chlorine Dioxide. Wikipedia and further checks indicate that it is, in fact, used quite widely (perhaps not in the international brewing world).

Just trying to verify my ratios here.

Besides the fact that it's not Starsan, does my math make sense? If I need 4ppm from a 2000ppm solution, I dilute each ml by an additional 50ml of water?

Besides the fact that it's not Starsan, does my math make sense? If I need 4ppm from a 2000ppm solution, I dilute each ml by an additional 50ml of water?

You want to dilute each mL with and additional 500mL of water (not 50mL)

The math in your first example was correct, however (40mL of 2000ppm into 20L of water).

If it's furnished in a 2000 ppm concentration and you want a 4 ppm solution, dilute at a 500:1 ratio. (2000/4=500)

So, 1 ml of concentrate diluted with 500 ml of water should do it.

2000/1000000=4/x x=2000

I can't speak to the math or the concentrations that you're using but I did use the stuff at the brewery I worked at for a while. I don't know the specifics of the concentration we were using but we would draw off 500ml for use in a 20l sanitizing solution. Feel free to work backward from there.

The chemical is great to use but is volatile. I have read it is not terribly recommended for home use because of it's volatility and potential for combustion if not used with appropriate ventilation.

That said, we used it everywhere on all surfaces. Tanks, lines, etc. We even used a method for washing the yeast before pitching as outlined here:
http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13733

Reading that thread now I can see that we had an 800ppm solution coming into the brewery and we were cutting it to 15ppm for general usage and 30ppm for yeast washing.

Good luck and be careful!

So starting with 800ppm and diluting it with 20l gives a final solution of 20ppm, correct?

(yes, it is volatile, comes with severe warnings, cautions, legal terms of use, etc... kinda like O2 actually...)

Back