What's next with JAOM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
This Sunday will be 2 months that my gallon of JAOM has been sitting in primary. It has cleared out, but at the slightest movement the bread yeast kicks up a bunch of muck.
What do I do? Should I transfer it to another 1 gallon jug to eliminate as much yeast as possible?
How do I bottle this? I wasn't planning on carbing it. Should I just put it in 12oz beer bottles like I do me brews? Since all the talk about aging it so long, is the normal headspace in the bottles ok?
I can't wait to taste this!
Thanks!

This is the main problem when using bread yeast, it produces incredibly fine lees.
I cold crashed, racked onto campden twice and still had some powder at the bottom.
Gelatin may be able to compact the yeast a bit, make it more manageable.

That said, I think yeast in the bottle is part of the charm of JOAM, a simple no fuss brew.

I thought the original recipe said it was ok to bottle after 2 months. I will then let it age more in the bottles.

So I have the gallon jug in the fridge for 2 days now cold crashing. Usually when I cold crash, I keg the beer so it remains cold. When I bottle this, is it going to be ok if not put back in thr fridge?

Since I am not going to prime, what about head space in the bottle. I am going to use regular 12 oz bottles. Do I just leave the same headspace I would when bottling beer? I don't want it to oxidize.

Thanks.

My wife did one of these. We racked to secondary after about a month and 1/2 and used gelatin to fine it for 1 week. When we racked to the bottling bucket we used a nylon (pantyhose) over the auto siphon and it worked great. Tested it on the local brew club and the were impressed. So this was a total of 7 weeks in the can and a few days in the bottle. Tried some after about 2 months in the bottle and it is even better.

Next time we'll let it sit for the full 2 months just to be sure. This one she never checked gravities at all heh.

So, what I would do Dave, is rack to secondary, add some gelatin, then bottle the next week or so. Gelatin takes a minimum of a week and sometimes more. But this way you'll get a cleaner product in the end.

Note: The last bottle did have some yeast in the bottom, so it gets to sit till last. We'll filter that (Nylon again most likely) and rebottle.

Time is your friend. It may say two months but in reality it may take 3 months or more. It depends upon the temperature and other variables. As the previous poster said, the lees are very, very fine - almost like talcum powder - and if you just look at it wrong you could have it back in suspension and have to wait for it to clear all over again. When you're ready to bottle, keep your siphon hose or racking cane well above the yeast layer if you want the end result clear and expect to leave some mead behind.

IMG_1619.JPG

Summer,
That is simply a gorgeous photo!. I started some JAOM yesterday and if it looks like that in a couple of months I will do a Sufi dance around the garage.

Summer,
After three weeks my JAOM is starting to look like your photo...really golden and beautiful. The oranges have not dropped, the raisins bob up and down really crazily. I could not resist and stole an ounce to see what it might turn out like. Like nothing I have ever tasted! I think it is gonna be something special.

Hmmm, I'm wondering the same thing. I have a couple of 1 gallon batches (1 original JAOM and the modified Blueberry/Vanilla) happily fermenting away. I'm going to wait 2 more months until it clears nicely and all fruit drops.

This is my first crack at mead making. Was thinking I could just rack it off the initial sediment into another 1 gallon carboy, cold crash it for a week, then run it through a mini jet filter into another carboy and then bottle it directly from there.

I should then end up with a relatively stable product for bottling in wine bottles right?

Planning on aging it for about another 3 - 6 months after that.

Back