Greetings from Columbus,OH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
New member here (obviously). Just got my first batch of apfelwein in the carboy tonight (EdWort's recipe with DME instead of corn sugar, Notty yeast). Hope it comes out alright. I'm a member of a local homebrew group, so if anyone else is in the area and wants to meet up with us, we usually meet once a month and the host brews while we all talk about beer and drink beer (of course).

Welcome from D-ware...

There are a couple stores in Columbus but I'm not a big fan of them. If you need something in a pinch they are good but if you can wait and have it shipped it is much cheaper to buy online.

I have been to all three homebrew stores in Columbus. Gentile's is good for grain, recipe kits, and carboys but their yeast section in the cooler is generally in disarray. Winemaker's shop is the only one that carries smack packs, and they have a ton of grain as well. Blacklick Wine and Spirits has a basic selection, only White Labs yeast, smaller variety of grains, etc. but Joe is very helpful and will order anything you need. They are just building their stock, so I'm sure it will get better. I've found that the prices at all three are competitive to ordering online. I usually buy whatever I can (yeast, extract, hops) at the stores and order the rest.

Where is the Blacklick store?

I have only been to The WineMakers shop and there prices are definitely not comparable to online. They are horrible. And the lady at the counter (owners wife) is not not friendly. I've always felt like I was a huge inconvenience to her just by walking in the door.

Where is the Blacklick store?

I have only been to The WineMakers shop and there prices are definitely not comparable to online. They are horrible. And the lady at the counter (owners wife) is not not friendly. I've always felt like I was a huge inconvenience to her just by walking in the door.

As long as you play by her rules, she is at least civil. You just have to know what you want when you go in and ask her to get it for you (seems she doesn't like people rooting around in the ingredients). The Blacklick store is located at 7199 E Broad St, Blacklick, OH 43004, right near Strader's Garden Center in a little strip mall with the Red Rock pub, a chinese restauraunt, and a nail place. Joe, who works there, is a cool guy who is very knowledgeable and can help you with anything you need. They also have beer tastings every Thursday and Friday night, which is how I got to know everyone there. Check out their website at www.blacklickwine.com

Interesting...my sister in law lives near that Blacklick store and I always thought it was just a normal beer\wine place. I'll have to check it out.

As long as you play by her rules, she is at least civil. You just have to know what you want when you go in and ask her to get it for you (seems she doesn't like people rooting around in the ingredients). The Blacklick store is located at 7199 E Broad St, Blacklick, OH 43004, right near Strader's Garden Center in a little strip mall with the Red Rock pub, a chinese restauraunt, and a nail place. Joe, who works there, is a cool guy who is very knowledgeable and can help you with anything you need. They also have beer tastings every Thursday and Friday night, which is how I got to know everyone there. Check out their website at www.blacklickwine.com

I'll have to check out that place. AS far as playing by her rules, she has a business, I'm the customer. I've never rooted through her ingredients, always just told her what I needed and she got it. Just don't like the vibe of the place and especially the prices. If you like it that's cool, just not for me.

The winelady is a bia%$h! I would rather drink miller lite than purchase anything from her. Her husband is a pretty cool dude, but her karma is very dark.

Agreed with jimba009 and IrregularPulse, for the most part. The prices up there at the winemaker's shop are outrageous. Some days Nina is super nice and friendly and helpful, and some days it seems like she views beer people as an annoyance.

Matter of fact, when I have been in there for wine supplies she has been super cool. When I have been in there for beer supplies she has been... less than friendly.

Any new info on the beer club? It would be cool to be part of a club especially this winter when there are less extra curriculars available. Too cold for disc golf, snowboarding is too expensive. :D

The next meeting of that club is actually at my house... PM me for some info. Actually... can we PM here?

Agreed with jimba009 and IrregularPulse, for the most part. The prices up there at the winemaker's shop are outrageous. Some days Nina is super nice and friendly and helpful, and some days it seems like she views beer people as an annoyance.

Matter of fact, when I have been in there for wine supplies she has been super cool. When I have been in there for beer supplies she has been... less than friendly.

Some days she is extremely friendly and others not so much, but I dont think its a beer / wine thing.
I usually shop there for last minute things, sanitizers, etc. But all in all its just too pricey. I would love to support a local business, but I am not willing to pay an extra $20!

Back