I'm thinking Biscuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
Looking for some recipe ideas for a partial mash using a Biscuit malt (the toasty flavor in Fat Tire). I have also had Sun Dog Amber Ale from New Holland Brewing in Michigan. These are the only two beers I have ever had with biscuit malt in them.

Let's hear some ideas, please.

I suggest to use the Fat Tire yeast that Wyeast is distributing. Hurry and get some because its out for a limited time. This yeast strian should help with the biscuit flavor you want.

Thats a good idea Milhouse. I will have to make my first yeast starter with that, but I can hack it. - Wait, if it's a Wyeast product I don't need a starter. Smack Packs are ready to pitch.

Any ideas for a recipe? An amber ale would be good, similar to the Sun Dog I mentioned earlier.

Can I just add biscuit to anything?

are you talking about american or british biscuit malt? because the american tastes like breakfast and the british tastes like cookies. kidding! kidding!

Yooper, you've never had New Holland's beer before? I realize you are on the cool side of the bridge, but it is still made in Michigan. I just don't have any interest in making clones. I'll look into altering some recipes.

P.S. I am backpacking/snowshoeing in the Porkies in Feb.

Yooper, you've never had New Holland's beer before? I realize you are on the cool side of the bridge, but it is still made in Michigan. I just don't have any interest in making clones. I'll look into altering some recipes.

P.S. I am backpacking/snowshoeing in the Porkies in Feb.

No, we don't get any beers from "down below" up here, except for Bell's.

When you go to the Porkies, let me know. Maybe if it's on the way, we can have a beer.

You don't have to necessarily make a FT clone, then. I was just thinking that if it's a FT biscuitiness you're looking for, you could try using a malt bill for a FT clone. Sometimes just adding malts to a grain bill simply "muddy" the taste. If you have a certain idea in mind, we can definitely help you get to where you want to go.

You must get Leinie's! I saw it in Escanaba in da Moonlight so it must be true.

'Tougne like a trout'

We will be coming up hwy 64 (through Presque Isle, Marenisco, White City, Lake Gogebic, Merriweather, Bergland, etc)

You must get Leinie's! I saw it in Escanaba in da Moonlight so it must be true.

'Tougne like a trout'

We will be coming up hwy 64 (through Presque Isle, Marenisco, White City, Lake Gogebic, Merriweather, Bergland, etc)

Yah, we haf da Leine's here. All da difrent kinds, doncha know.

Hwy 64 isn't near here, unfortunately! Have fun in the Porkies, though. I only backpack there in the summer, but I'm a girl.

Back