Which ale yeast to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
I just picked up ten pumpkins. I got a frickin steal. A dollar a piece. anyway..................Im looking to make this super malty almost to the point like eating a pumpkin pie. You know that creamy taste/after taste you get when eating a piece of pumkin pie. Ive sort of got the recipe semi figured out but want some suggestions for a yeast.

Here is what im thinking

10-12 lbs 2 row
8oz 20L
8oz aromatic
8oz Biscuit
8oz cara pils
8oz munich
4lbs pumpkin with pumkin pie spice
Hops????
yeast??????

If you want creamy, add some oats. If you just want malty, you should be good as is. German noble hops work well in pumpkin beers, but you could also use English hops. The idea is to use hops that are earthy. For the yeast, I'd use US-05 or S-04...

i thought of oats also i think that would be a great addition for smoothness.
yooper what is the alcohol tolerance of windsor????

Ive toyed with the idea of making a pumpkin wheat beer, I think the addition of both wheat and oats will give a malty, slightly grainy taste and a rich creamy mouthfeel. Ive read pumpkin itself tends to get lost in the other flavors and its mostly the spices that give the impression of pumpkin pie, maybe if you roast some of the pumpkin before hand it will impart more flavor.

Ive read pumpkin itself tends to get lost in the other flavors and its mostly the spices that give the impression of pumpkin pie, maybe if you roast some of the pumpkin before hand it will impart more flavor.

I agree with every word there...

My pumkin is in the oven as we speak. Im pretty dead set on the recipe but am really torn on the Yeast. I have a limited experience with making super malty beer so havent really used a lot of ale yeasts. Which have you all used?

My pumkin is in the oven as we speak. Im pretty dead set on the recipe but am really torn on the Yeast. I have a limited experience with making super malty beer so havent really used a lot of ale yeasts. Which have you all used?

Just go with Windsor or S-04. Your grain bill will already lend the maltiness. You could also decoct part of the mash for more fun...

US-05 is going to be clean and not add much in the way of fruity esters, as long as you ferment it at reasonably low temps (65F-ish). S-04 would work well, too.

Good luck!

Cheers,

For some extra creamyness in the mouthfeel, perhaps adding some lactose at bottling? just a thought, as part of that creamyness in pumpkin pie is due to the cream used in the custard.

I decided on Wyeast 1056 american ale yeast. I brewed it tonight and it smells great. I had a horrible brew night filled with boil overs, burn outs, low efficiency and 6 inches of trub i didnt account for from the pumpkin puree. Oh well you win some you lose some but in the end i still made beer.

Back