I love Scotch, Scotchy Scotch Scotch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I was just putting together a bunch of junk to throw on Freecycle and thought some of you might be amused by this photo:

scotch.jpg

Mmm, making my mouth water for a wee dram.

-Joe

Nice Ed! Two in there I haven't had, the Glendronach and Jura. Have you tried the Laphroaig quarter cask yet? It's in my top two favorites as of late.

My collection at last count, minus the backup bottles of Quarter Cask and Macallan 18 in the cabinet below, and a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban I recently acquired.

whiskies.jpg

-Joe

Isle of Jura Superstition is a very nice scotch. One of my favorites.

Nice collection you have there as well.

Lagavulin is quite tasty ;) I'm not sure how I didn't end up with any.

We'll have to remedy that at some point :D

-Joe

Laphroaig-
Good stuff. My old boss use to let things slide, or re-lock loans with different investors in exchange for that beautiful nectar. I don't like scotch, but Laphroaig is good stuff.

Laphroaig-I don't like scotch, but Laphroaig is good stuff.

You're now the second person I know who said that exact same thing :)

Interestingly, one of my wife's uncles likes Scotch but claims he doesn't like single malts. I can't imagine crossing off an entire class of whisky like that.

-Joe

Has anyone tried Benromach? It's a small distillery in the Islay region that I stopped at while travelling in Scotland. Pretty good scotch, the couple we were travelling with bottled their own cask-strength from the cask. I forget how strong the guy said it was but it was up there, maybe 100 or 120 proof. Anyway it was smoother than most 80 proof scotch's i've had and awesome. We picked up a bottle of their cheap stuff while there and it's pretty good too.

I've got a bottle of dalwhinnie 15 the GF bought me for valentine's day, and I think a bottle of something cask strenght that I do not like.

I don't keep bottles around too much, I drink them way too fast.

And Most of the pics here are of Single Malts. You Johnny guys need to step up your game and drink the real thing! :razz:

B

You guys are making my mouth water. The Macallan 12 yr is my go-to scotch. Dammit, I'm fresh out! I do have a bit of Isle of Jura 10 yr left, and I'd really like to try the Superstition. You won't find Johnny (even Blue) in my liquor cabinet unless it was a gift.

Sorry to thread rez, but I have to ask...... and I know this is a weird question, bear with me.

Where'd you learn to like Scotch? How'd you do it?

I mean that seriously. I've tried a few varieties (nothing nearly as elegant as posted above, but I have tried Glenlivet 12 and Jameson a few times) with an open mind, but I just have a hard time convincing myself to enjoy them. With the Jameson, I even wound up giving the bottle away to a friend.

I want to like Scotch. I like Americanized whisky (Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, my fave is Knob Creek) and I like Canadian whisky (esp. Crown Royal, I can put myself up all night with Crown & Coke)... I just haven't figured out how to "make the leap", so to speak.

Suggestions?

My favorite standard whisky drink is Sour, followed by & Coke, followed by neat on ice. I tried Jameson neat on ice, and just couldn't embrace it.

Sorry for the long post. Scotch, however, has had me curious for some time!

Hey Chriso.

I never really learned to like Scotch, I just found ones that I like. There are still Scotches that I can't palate - Oban 14 for some reason, Ardbeg 10, and a few more.

The flavor palate of Scotches varies so widely, there's sure to be something you like.

If you like American bourbons that tend to the sweet, give the Dalmore a try. Dalmore even has a Cigar Malt that tastes like caramel.

Dalwhinnie is a very mellow, easy drinking Scotch. Arbelour is very nice.

If you want to try something more aggressive with peat and smoke flavors, look for Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Your best bet is to find someone with a good collection and make friends ;) If you're near NJ I'd be happy to let you taste till your heart's content.

Speaking of sweet, I tried an Irish called "The Knot" the other night. It tasted so much like butterscotch I couldn't even drink it.

-Joe

Back