Work around for low mash efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keend0

Reaction score
Planning my second AG batch tomorrow. AIPA

5 gal
10lbs - 2 row
2lbs - Vienna
12oz - Crystal 40
8oz - Carapils

1oz Maginum 60min
2oz Centennial 10min
1oz Centennial 0
1oz Centennial dry hop 7 days

Batch sparge 152 for 60 min
Drain then 168 for 10 min

On my first AG batch I missed my starting gravity out of the MT by 12 points. To try and correct this I am going to have my LHBS mill the grain twice.

Now if I end up missing my starting gravity again, would there be any problems adding Light DME to bring it back in line with the recipe? Pluging in my actual efficiency form the last batch, beersmith tells me that I would have to add 2lbs of DME to bring the starting gravity back to recipe. It would throw off the color a bit 7.3 versus 7.8 SRMs.

What about adding dextrose? That would not throw off the color, but not sure what it would do to the flavor?

After you get a few more AG brews under your belt you will probably know the efficiency of your system. Then you can just add more grain to compensate.

As for this brew, I'd stick to DME. The dextrose will ferment out completely and dry your finished beer out. You might also end up with a less malty and more watery beer. Also your hops will be more evident. The hops part might be ok for an IPA but it'll throw the recipe off from what was originally intended so I'd just stick with the DME.

Go with the DME. It'll be closer to your original recipe. It won't be exactly the same, though; it'll be more like you made up for the low efficiency by adding additional 2-row to hit your gravity.

Amber DME might actually work better for matching the recipe. Briess claims theirs is a proprietary blend of base malt, Munich malt, and crystal 60L.

If I were you, I'd probably stick with light DME. If I had amber lying around, I might try it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. I wouldn't bother worrying about the color impact.

Back