Lager times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcomito

Reaction score
I have an Altbier lagering and wonder how long I should let it go. It has been about a month. Should I bottle or let it ride?

I generally just ferment at 50 until attenuation is 80% done, then I take it out of fridge for a few days untl gravity is stable.(dia...something rest).
Then coldcrash for a week, then transfer from primary to secondary and apply co2 wait a week to carb at temp at 32F.

I just leave it until I am out of beer, sometimes its right away sometimes its weeks or months.

All beer can benefit from lagering. I read a book on Altbier by Horist Dornbucsh and he recommends lagering for about one to three months. The longer, of course, the clearer and 'smoother' the beer gets. I lagered a cream ale for three months and it was one of the clearest ales I ever made.

My next lagered beer will be an Alt, but I have to wait since I am lagering a Baltic Porter and a Pre-Prohibition lager right now. Until then, it will be a couple of ales!

Which yeast did you use?

Mark

I definately agree with lopatkam, lagering(or cold conditioning) isnt specific to lager style and benefits all types of beer.

I definately agree with lopatkam, lagering(or cold conditioning) isnt specific to lager style and benefits all types of beer.

Third...ing. Every beer style gets better with age. Even IPAs would get better if it weren't for the fact that the hop flavor fades and even then, they do get better before they get worse (if that makes sense)

All beer can benefit from lagering. I read a book on Altbier by Horist Dornbucsh and he recommends lagering for about one to three months. The longer, of course, the clearer and 'smoother' the beer gets. I lagered a cream ale for three months and it was one of the clearest ales I ever made.

My next lagered beer will be an Alt, but I have to wait since I am lagering a Baltic Porter and a Pre-Prohibition lager right now. Until then, it will be a couple of ales!

Which yeast did you use?

Mark

It was an ale yeast that came with the kit. I forget the name or type, but I do remember that it was a commonly used one. It is probably going on two months now. I suppose I'll bottle soon. Thanks for the info.

So when I do bottle this thing, what temp do I keep the bottles at? I can't fit 50 beers in my chiller unit that houses my carboy.

Back