Yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I was wondering how long a yeast cake can sit before repitching won't work? I brewed an ESB with a OG of 1.055 with S-04. I like to let my beers sit in primary for 4-6 weeks. Is there a time frame will the yeast sit to long and won't awaken. I'd like to repitch a big imperial stout on this cake. But let the esb sit for a month first

I don't have hard evidence or information, but I do have a bit of anecdotal information for you.

I just did this a few weeks ago. Had an APA sit for at least a month (I think, I will check my notes but I just got to work) and pitched an 1.108 OG stout onto it. I did pitch the same day I racked the APA out of the bucket. Fermentation was very fast even though I cooled the stout below its fermentation temp range and barely hit the bottom if the acceptable range. Use a blowoff tube. I didn't end up needing one, but I saw a video from a guy on here who did a time lapse video and it was in the blowoff tube in around 2 hours, if I remember correctly.

The only reason I use a secondary is so that I can reuse the yeast cake. I do not have any proof but it seems to me that if I can get the yeast harvested and in the fridge sooner I will have a better or more viable yeast to start my next batch with.

But I honestly do not know if I am making more work for myself

Sorry, I thought you were asking how long a beer can sit on a yeast cake before you remove it and pitch another beer DIRECTLY onto it. As in, you leave the entire yeast cake in the bottom of the bucket; finished beer off, new wort on.

Sorry about that.

freisste said:
Sorry, I thought you were asking how long a beer can sit on a yeast cake before you remove it and pitch another beer DIRECTLY onto it. As in, you leave the entire yeast cake in the bottom of the bucket; finished beer off, new wort on.

Sorry about that.

That's exactly what I'm asking. If my beer sits in my primary for say a month to 6 weeks. Rack off beer to secondary. Repitch new wort on top. The yeast won't have any problem re starting after being dormant for so long ?

They won't have any problem restarting.

However, there are pros and cons to pitching on a yeast cake. I can't explain it all to you, but it shouldn't be too hard to find with a little searching.

Back